Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to start building a canopy for my 75 gallon this weekend. I'm essentially going to be using this basic design that I found on here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_canopy2.php

I would rather not have to hold the whole top up while I'm feeding or doing maintenance so I want to modify the plan slightly by putting a couple of those locking brackets/hinges on the sides. You know the ones where you lift it door open and it locks in place, then you lift it slightly to release the lock?

Problem is I have no idea what they're called. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where I might find some? I'm assuming most hardware stores would have them, but I'm trying to find them online right now so I know what a good price is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The other possibility would be a gas cylinder of the type used to hold up car hoods. Most hardware stores should have what you are looking for as well as home improvement stores. You could also make one out of wood, the way patio loungers are made, with an arm that sits in a notch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the absolute best option is the lid stay torsion hinge. i used them on a toy chest lid and they keep it from going anywhere except where you put it. hold it open great. the downside is that they are twenty dollars a piece and depending on the lid weight you will need two or three. the best place to find them is rockler .com. they ship very quickly and you may find them in their outlet section on sale too. i cannot say enough good about these hinges. easy to install and great for your project, even being expensive you can always take them off and reuse if you build a new canopy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts