Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search reminded me I was subbed here! My First time so forgive me for probably posting this in the wrong place.
- Anyway I have a backyard 150 gal pond with over 150 mbunas in it here in NW FL.!( a few big adults/ about 100 2 inchers and tons of babies and fry!) I raise hundreds every year and sell them to a retailer for like only $2 each but have no choice selling so cheap because the only way to catch them is to remove every rock in the pond first. He comes down and helps me catch them. Not in it for the money it's just that they raise so many babies I have to get rid of them once my NITRATE levels gets too high. FYI I have only lost 4 fish over a four year period! And have a nitrate spike twice per year as I become over stocked and have to wait for my fish man to come get them. FYI only downside to outside cichlid pond in NW FL is the winter months I have to run multiple heaters to keep the water in the low 70's. Cost a few hundred $ every winter.
I have 3 questions:
1) Why do I not have to add salt to my little pond? Supposing mbuna's don't require salt?
2) What kind of cichlids require salt/brackish water?
3) If I have many mbuna's can I put fish from other lakes in with them if they are all about the same size and have plenty of fish? I have heard mostly NO, but some have told me they will probably be ok in the larger than most aquariums pond with lots of hidding places.

I have just about every color of African mbuna cichlids but I am dying to raise some kind of other cichlids!

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Your tap water may already have a good GH and KH for Africans.

I do not agree that you can combine lakes as long as fish are same size and you have lots of hiding places. I have tried a number of Tangs and Lake Victorians with Lake Malawi mbuna and even haps and peacocks. My experience is they hid 100% of the time or did not color or their behavior became stilted.

Why do you raise the mbuna in a pond if it is so expensive? Cheaper and better visibility of the fish in smaller tanks in your home it would seem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts