Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...So it's been a week since I disastrously lost my entire 75 gallon tank due to extremely high chlorine levels in my tap water during a routine water change.(see my previous post for details)

I thought I had gotten all of the dead fish out but the next day I found another floating and removed it.

I haven't removed any decor items from the tank or any media from my Fluval FX6 canister.

I've been testing my ammonia levels every other day since then and it has remained high (6-8ppm).

Is this a sign that the chlorine has killed all of the beneficial bacteria in my entire setup?...Or am I being impatient and just need to give it more time?

I am anxious to get things started again but definitely want to make sure things are ready before re-stocking.

ANY suggestions on what to do next are greatly appreciated...Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Vook911, test your tap water to see if you get an ammonia reading first and post the results.

I would do a 75% water change on the aquarium in order to drop the ammonia level quickly. Don't forget to turn off your filter(s), power heads and heater during this water change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tested the tap water and it reads less the .25 ppm....My LFS also recommended a large water change and adding Stability to try and jumpstart the cycling process...Sounds like I'll be starting from scratch getting this tank cycled again :(

forkman, i do use Prime whenever I do a water change it just so happened that my water company was doing a chlorine flush the morning I did the water change that killed everything. I think the amount of Prime I added was no match for the amount of chlorine in the water coming into the tank.

Thanks again for the input guys!

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Thanks for the info. The tap level was for ammonia and not chlorine correct?

You aren't truly starting from scratch as far as the water parameters are concerned. Once you get your ammonia level down to 2ppm to 3ppm, your good bacteria should bounce back within a couple days.

Keep a cheat sheet to record your ammonia over the next couple days, once you see it go to zero, check nitrite and nitrate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts