Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple of fronts about 6 mos. ago. They were roughly the same size, but one being just a bit bigger. had them in a 55 Gal. tank until just recently I got a 6 ft. tank for them. My question is, in the time I have had the fronts, the smaller one has hardly grown, while the larger one has doubled in size, now being about 6" long and growning a beautiful hump. The smaller of the two just hangs out in his cichlid rock, popping his head out for food at feeding time but rarely coming out otherwise. I didnt witness agression at first, but over time notice the larger front chasing him in his rock sometimes, though other times they are fine. Smaller one eats good. The old tank not only was smaller, it also had a constant humming from the filter. When I had the bigger tank ready I added the small one first so he could get comfortable and establish a territory, plan to wait a week before adding the big alpha front. Since adding him to the new tank with the other fish, he has been happily swimming all over the place and does not seem shy at all. No hiding yet, wondering if the humming noise from the smaller tank was stressing him out, or does this sound like a typical case of bullying? If it is the latter, will I have to rehome the small one if he starts hiding again when the big one is added? If that happens, will the remaing front be happy by himself with the other mild cihlids I have in there?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Two fronts together is not the best ratio and the one will always pic on the other. Even with 6 or 8 Fronts this can happen and in general the beta male might be forced to live like this if the Alpha is always out. In a colony sometimes you will not see the beta unless the alpha is in a cave or hidding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts