Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am still rather new to ciclids. Can anyone tell me the best fresh veggies to feed my Malawi's?

·
Registered
81 Posts
they love all nice dark greens,, start with romain lettuce or maybe zuchinni or brocolli
feed them food twice a day and leave one day / week no food at all to clense their system
keeps them healthier that way

also stay away from too much high protien foods may cause bloat in the malawis they are more veggitarian type of fish

:fish:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
YELLOWRAVEN said:
also stay away from too much high protien foods may cause bloat in the malawis they are more veggitarian type of fish

This is an incorrect generalization. The range of all diet in Malawian cichlids, is quite varied.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fogelhund said:
YELLOWRAVEN said:

This is an incorrect generalization. The range of all diet in Malawian cichlids, is quite varied.
Iv always been told by the LFS and most people of this forum that Malawis are genarlly veggitarian and if fed meat only rarely as a treat of sorts and that too much can harm them,, and thats why I guess that most Malawi quality foods provided by the LFS are much lower in crude protiens than other fish food :fish:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
YELLOWRAVEN said:
Fogelhund said:
YELLOWRAVEN said:

Iv always been told by the LFS and most people of this forum that Malawis are genarlly veggitarian and if fed meat only rarely as a treat of sorts and that too much can harm them,, and thats why I guess that most Malawi quality foods provided by the LFS are much lower in crude protiens than other fish food :fish:
It is a false generalization. I don't think you will find that most people of this forum have suggested that Malawians are generally vegetarian. Take a look through the profiles in Malawian fish, and see what their diets are.

No fish can survive on a completely vegetarian diet, though there are a number of species whose primary diet is indeed vegetable matter. The most strictly vegetarian fish in Lake Malawi feed on aufwuchs. If you read the article, you will see that there is a great deal of animals consumed by even the most vegetarian of fish. On the other hand, there are a great deal of fish that are omnivorous, and carnivorous, probably many more than are actually herbivorous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fogelhund said:
YELLOWRAVEN said:
Fogelhund said:
YELLOWRAVEN said:

It is a false generalization. I don't think you will find that most people of this forum have suggested that Malawians are generally vegetarian. Take a look through the profiles in Malawian fish, and see what their diets are.

No fish can survive on a completely vegetarian diet, though there are a number of species whose primary diet is indeed vegetable matter. The most strictly vegetarian fish in Lake Malawi feed on aufwuchs. If you read the article, you will see that there is a great deal of animals consumed by even the most vegetarian of fish. On the other hand, there are a great deal of fish that are omnivorous, and carnivorous, probably many more than are actually herbivorous.
...and that is what makes most natural sense to me aswell,... its just what iv been told so many times by LFS,.. I would prefer to feed them properly including meat

what is your personal opinion on

FEEDING Malawis

times/day ?
off days ?
and veggie to meat ratio ?

regards

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
YELLOWRAVEN said:
what is your personal opinion on

FEEDING Malawis

times/day ?
off days ?
and veggie to meat ratio ?

regards

I wouldn't feed based on a generalization.

It really depends on the fish that I keep in a particular tank. For all fish, I feed a high quality pellet food, that is good for all types, such as Dainichi, Tetra Bits or New Life Spectrum. A good cichlid flake works as well.

For fish that have more carnivorous diets, I'll feed mysis shrimp, krill or brine shrimp as well.

Know your fish.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When they said "Malawi" Maybe they had Mbunas in mind. There are lots of malawi that eat smaller fish. Dont pay attention to lfs. Mbunas are veggie lovers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Im not saying they are vegetarians......Fish will eat almost anything givin to them if hungry. Heck if you throw a hotdog in the tank (hold the mustard) someones going to take a bite....they will even eat things that will kill them. But they do love a good salad. About 90% of Mbuna in the wild graze on rocks or eat plankton. Most of the biocover and plankton is some sort of alga. And it's organic too :thumb:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, I think there's some confusion on Malawi vs Mbuna.
Most mbuna seem to be herbivores (by their profile).

Whereas Haps are omnivore/piscovores (as a generalization).

Peacocks, I dunno :)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Glaneon said:
Most mbuna seem to be herbivores (by their profile).
Go ahead and cruise through the profiles, and count the number of herbivores, omnivores and carnivores in the mbuna flock. My guess is that you will end up with a number somewhere around 40% of the mbuna are herbivores.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Which would leave roughly 30% omnivore & 30% pescivore & carnivore, right? :)

So that means there's more herbivorous mbuna than other types? :)

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Glaneon said:
Which would leave roughly 30% omnivore & 30% pescivore & carnivore, right? :)

So that means there's more herbivorous mbuna than other types? :)
In the profiles, using all geographical locations.. you end up with 45% herbivores, 41% Omnivores, 14% carnivores.

If you just went species, you would end up with more omnivores than herbivores.

The point is don't generalize. Less than half of mbuna, no matter how you count them, are herbivores.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lots of fish in the aquarium have different diets than in the wild. It is true many malawians enjoy veggies. If you take in account omnivores as well, most fish do eat veggies or plant matter. However many do eat meat as well, so what's important is a varied diet to try and meet all the needs for your fish.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
Is cucumber safe for them to eat?
Yes from what I have read it is perfectly safe. See alot of people prefer to remove the seed portion first and then be sure to remove the uneaten peice (if any) before it rots. I feed frozen peas quite a bit, since they keep for a long time. Just grab a few out of back and put in a cup of water in microwave for about 20 seconds. Then I slice the skin and just squeeze of the two pieces of pea inside.

Probably gonna try the cucumber myself for the first time this week when i go grocery shopping I will have to remember to grab one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
Is cucumber safe for them to eat?
Yes from what I have read it is perfectly safe. See alot of people prefer to remove the seed portion first and then be sure to remove the uneaten peice (if any) before it rots. I feed frozen peas quite a bit, since they keep for a long time. Just grab a few out of back and put in a cup of water in microwave for about 20 seconds. Then I slice the skin and just squeeze of the two pieces of pea inside.

Probably gonna try the cucumber myself for the first time this week when i go grocery shopping I will have to remember to grab one.
I tried giving mine cucumber and they swam away from it. Should I rubber band the slices to a statue?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.