Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi iv just change to African cichilds I took my stock to my lfs and got credit so I could get some new fish I'm going down the peacock/hap tank. My store sells them in 3s for £20 to £30 their all around 2" so I got 3 OB Peacocks 3 red neck peacocks 3 strawberry peacocks and 3 blue ahli witch I thought where peacock but I think their haps now they guy didn't sex them but I was trying to get a mix of males and females I will try and add pictures but not done it before the store just labels them as lake Malawi cichilds I want to get some more around 12 more so do I just get 4 more groups of 3 I no you shouldn't get to many fish that look the same so I want some red and some yellow peacock/haps

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd advise you to hold off further purchases until you get some responses here from the moderators. There are some things you need to know and consider. I also recommend that you do some reading in the Library section of the forums, the Quick Reference and Peacock Corner articles.

I'm myself relatively new to africans but I can say that two issues you will face are aggression and cross breeding. Some of the pictures you posted are kind of dark but I'll note the following:

1. it looks like the 'red necked peacock' is what I know as the 'Eureka Red' Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi
2. the blue ahli is a Hap yes, but IME they fit right in pretty well with peacocks.
3. the other two species you have are actually mixed breed fish and tend to be more aggressive than other peacocks and/or haps. I read about this myself and have found this to be true in my tanks. I've had to move on all but two of my male 'strawberry peacocks' once they reach adulthood due to aggression, and all the male OB's when they reached adulthood due to the same issue.

All male peacock/hap tanks are popular (but also challending) because of how colorful the males can get and how drap the vast majority of the females are. Note that in those mixed fish you have the females can also get relatively colorful.

In male/female tanks these fish cross breed very easily and this is undesireable for at least a couple of different reasons that come to mind atm; you wouldn't be able to get rid of/sell these fish. The resulting fish won't look good and if in the off chance you get some offspring that look good they won't breed true.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Agree. Also, for a mixed gender tank you want only one species of peacock.

What is the shape of your tank? A rectangle has the most options.

What are the dimensions of your tank? If it is a bowfront, measure the sides...not the middle.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I would stock this tank like a 48" x 12" (assuming the sides are 12").

Ideally that could mean 3 species with 1m:4f of each and one species of peacock per tank.

My recommendation would be not to add fish and in fact remove some fish and swap out others.

I disagree with your LFS...you may not have trouble for the first year but I don't see this being a long-term, enjoyable tank if you keep the existing fish and add more.

Could they just be trying to sell you fish?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No their really good been goin their for years I took all my old fish back for cried so didn't pay for they all. How dose the show tank work with just males then iv seen lots of different peacock ms all in one tank so is it just the females that are the problem also witch fish don't work I thought with African tank you could add a lot of different type of fish

·
Registered
641 Posts
Bigandy1987 said:
No their really good been goin their for years I took all my old fish back for cried so didn't pay for they all. How dose the show tank work with just males then iv seen lots of different peacock ms all in one tank so is it just the females that are the problem also witch fish don't work I thought with African tank you could add a lot of different type of fish
I've seen it many times where the fish stores advise incorrectly. They get away with it because most of the time they have a little more knowledge than the customers they are selling to.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I have some really excellent LFS by me that are owned/run by PhD marine biologists, but they just don't specialize in African cichlids (marine in the case I describe) so they give the best advice they have but may not have it to give.

One of my LFS asks me when I sell them fish sometimes, LOL.

Just males stick to haps and peacocks and one of each, no look alikes. Maybe 18 males in the tank if you stick to fish that mature <= six inches.

Oh and I forgot to mention...the ahli (fryeri) crossbreeds with peacocks too so leave them out of any mixed gender tank with peacocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thank you for your help it's so confessing everyone says different thing lol I just want a nice African peacock / hap tank iv been wanting one for years I just don't want to mess it up and waste money and lose a load of fish

·
Registered
641 Posts
Bigandy1987 said:
Ok thank you for your help it's so confessing everyone says different thing lol I just want a nice African peacock / hap tank iv been wanting one for years I just don't want to mess it up and waste money and lose a load of fish
It will seem like that since there are a few variables involved here and this leads to varying experiences, but I advise you to single out the moderators' advice and go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts