Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick question. Picked up a Rostratus to fill a void in a shipment of fish a while ago. "he" (hopefully) is 4 1/2" or so. Looks like a typical juvie fossie, but just beginning to pick up some light copper color on his lips, and a copper sheen in his dorsal fin. Also when he is "displaying" with another fish, it gets a black stripe the length of his dorsal and black in his anal fin. The body will also get a bit darker. Not sure if this its typical fossie stuff, but being the only rostratus in the tank, I wondered if this meant "male"?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I've never had these, so I can't say. But if you post a picture, I'm sure some of our haplochromis experts will venture a guess.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We have fossies, two full grown male rostratus in their sundays best and are growing out two more.

One remained sub dominant for about 18 months till one of our other Haps spawned which brought out his colors and a sudden growth spurt.

They go through a rainbow of colors as the males mature. Blues, Golds, Reds, Greens but as they reach around 9" they start to darken into their final pallette. Enjoy the next 12 months or so, it took our two years to mature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts