Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

I've finally decided to fill my fish tank back up after having it empty for a long time, but this time I'm doing something different: researching! I'm still debating between purchasing freshwater or marine fish. Although I believe a marine system would be great, I am also conscious that it will be more expensive and labor-intensive than a freshwater setup, so for now, I'm happy with the freshwater concept. I'm still waiting, though, to see if someone can persuade me otherwise. Do you guys have any recommendations for a fantastic group of freshwater fish to put in the tank to start out with? It is a medium-sized tank. I'm looking for vibrant fish that are simple to keep. as well as some other creatures that can assist in keeping the aquarium clean (e.g. snails, etc). Finally, I'm going for an ancient Roman/Atlantis theme; are there any good stores where I can get decorations? And do you have any ideas for covering the back glass pane with a black background?

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,395 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!

Please post the dimensions of your medium-sized tank in Length x Width x Height to help determine what cichlids would be suitable for your tank.

There are options to paint the back pane of the tank using latex paint, buying a manufactured background from a store or online, using poster board cut to fit, etc.

What stores are available where you live that sell aquarium related items? If there aren't any nearby, you can order decorations online and you may have to order fish online if there aren't any stores nearby.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Marine aquariums are colorful and fascinating. They are however expensive and labor-intensive to maintain.

Many marine animals are difficult to keep and often starve to death over time especially inverts like feather worms. These are frequently wild caught animals off a reef and IMHO it is irresponsible to be importing these into the hobby. Yet that is where many of them originate.

I've had 125g and 30g marine tanks and they were a great experience. Moving forward, I will never go back. You can do a lot with freshwater tanks and the beautiful greenery I've seen in some planted tanks is very striking and right on par with reef tanks as far as beauty goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts