Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i recently had 1 yellow lab and tiger barbs in my 29 gallon tank. it had plenty of rock work and im working on it the aqua set up now.

But I decided to trade my yellow lab to a lfs it was a nice looking one. He gave me two random assortment africans, i chose a blue hap, is what i believe it is, and they were running low, and had peach colored cichlids with brownish bellies, kind of oddly looking.

So now i have 1x hap 1xunkown juvenile, and some tiger barbs.
I was thinking of removing the tiger barbs, and making an african tank (i know to the general opinion its small) BUt there will be many caves, ill upload some pics tommorrow of the set up if people give me some advice.

Ok so i was thinking of going 6-8 african cichlids, (can i add more? arent they better when over crowded) thats with out the tiger barbs....

Could i keep the tiger barbs with say 4 or 5 assorted africans?

Help on a tank set up such as mine would be great, i would like to try shellies but everywhere they are so expensive.
So anyway thanks this 29 gallon will be rocking dual filters and cleaned regularly with weekly water changes.

So what do you guys think, help me with some stocking.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It is mbuna, not mumba.

Yes, you can mix cichlids with Tiger Barbs if you choose wisely. Most often, "mixed" africans will be too aggressive, or too large for a 29 gallon.

One of the better choices would actually be Yellow Labs, so chances are you've gone backwards in your stocking. Another good choice are lesser aggressive Aulonocara. Rusty cichlids, Pseudotropheus demasoni (one), or a group of Pseudotropheus saulosi are other fish I'd recommend for such a tank... that's about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fogelhund said:
One of the better choices would actually be Yellow Labs, so chances are you've gone backwards in your stocking. Another good choice are lesser aggressive Aulonocara. Rusty cichlids, Pseudotropheus demasoni (one), or a group of Pseudotropheus saulosi are other fish I'd recommend for such a tank... that's about it.
+1
If you want a couple different colors the Pseudotropheus saulosi are going to be your best bet.

A 29G isn't big enough to keep a group of Demasoni, since 12 fish is the recommended minimum stocking for a group to deal with their aggression.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so with your prior statements, if i go and buy 5 to 6 random africans assorted, the tank won't work out?
edit: and do you have any idae what cichlid i have, its peachesh color but has a brownish red belly?

·
Registered
162 Posts
yankeecichlid201 said:
so with your prior statements, if i go and buy 5 to 6 random africans assorted, the tank won't work out?
edit: and do you have any idae what cichlid i have, its peachesh color but has a brownish red belly?
In all likely hood (99.9% chance) it will not work out in the long run (the tank up and running successfully for 2 years or so). If the fish you buy are juveniles then your tank may be fine for the first 6-12 months and then all #@!! breaks out.
For anyone to really help ID your fish you need to post pics.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The problem is that the random assortment of cichlids in the "mixed African" tank are generally pretty hardy and colorful, but mean varieties... Melanochromis auratus, Pseudotropheus crabro, Metriaclima lombardoi - some of the most aggressive mbuna that will not work in a 29.

+1 to the fish that Fogelhund recommended. I recently set up a small tank (26 bowfront) for my sister with breeding groups of yellow labs and dwarf peacocks (maylandi). They will be good in there for a while.

You may pay a bit more in the beginning to stock the tank, but avoiding the frustration will be worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts