Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, wanted another kind of cichlid so went and got one today at a pet store. I currently have 2 oscars and 2 jack's and the new one, which im not sure but i think its a firemouth. Anyways this new one has been chasing and is being very aggressive towards the others. All are about the same size. There in a 55 gallon tank as well. From what *** read these are not suppose to be real aggresive so tell me if *** got the right fish please.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That is a Flowerhorn and you are going to need a lot more space A WHOLE LOT more space.

A single oscar needs at least a 75 gallon. More than that you have to go larger. Actually the JD is the only fish you have that can survive long term in a 55g. Being inexperienced I would take the flowerhorn back immediately. And if you plan on keeping the oscars you need to upgrade tank sizes.

You have come to the right place though. This forum is full of great threads and advice and a lot of people willing to help.

Welcome to the C-F.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
It's a flowerhorn, and yes, you're going to need a minimum of a 75gal tank just for that fish alone when it gets a bit bigger.

Even without the flowerhorn, a 55gal tank is not big enough for two Oscars as adults. If you wind up with a pair from the two JDs, then that pair alone might be okay in a 55gal tank as adults, but personally I'd push it up to a 75gal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a ton for ya'lls help. I figured id need a bigger tank. Whats w this thing chasing around my bigger oscar?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Flowerhorns are aggressive, that's just the way man created them. It will kill your fish in due time. you're going to either need to return it or get rid of all your other fish. Or get a few more tanks.

Two JD's will be fine in a 55 for life, unless they're both male.

One oscar will be fine in a bare 55 for life. But a 75 is ideal.

I don't know much about flowerhorns (FH) except that I had an 8" female in a 14' tank and she bullied everyone, even fish twice her size.

Here's a bit about oscars:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=120976

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems they flowerhorn, or my albino oscar have calmed down. I guess while im at it i should add i have to Red Pacu's that i read about lastnight. They will get really big and my lil 55 gallon ain't gonna work much longer w 2 oscars 2 jd, 2 Pacu, 1 flowerhorn, an a blood parrot.
Its really not my fault persay. I started out babysittin all these fish well except the jd's and FH, and now its mine and i know nothing about fish.. So thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
well you need to get that flowerhorn out of your tank. they never calm down in a 55g! today your FH and oscar are friends and tomorrow your oscar is dead.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It's a shame to get rid of such a nice looking Flowerhorn. You should look on Craig's list for a bigger tank. You can get some pretty good deal sometimes. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem is i got the Pacu's already. i was babysittin this lady's tank and nows its mine.. And please fill me in on what you mean by water parameters... Im a prime example of why you should research this stuff before you get into it. Im over my head w all these dang fish. Im takin the JD's back tomorrow and buyin another tank for my FH. Then when i get the $ im gonna get a tank for the Pacu's...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Then when i get the $ im gonna get a tank for the Pacu's...
It had better be a BIG BIG BIG tank :lol: . Pacus get HUGE! your better off ditchin the Pacu , cause most of us will never be able to properly house them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my Pacu's very friendly. They may be a red belly pacu, which only get about 10 inches i think :idea:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hate to inform you but the Pacu's will get almost as long as your 55 gallon tank alone. In the aquarium they can get 30"-40" if kept in the right tank. But, Pacu's even get large in most smaller tanks VERY quickly compared to other fish. You need to get rid of the Pacu's or go purchase a 300+ 9' tank fast. Sorry

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Theres no way i can afford a 300G aquarium. It would be hard to let them go, they're great fish.
:( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i like how everyone seems to be saying tht all flowerhorns are prycho killers, out of my 7 flowerhorn, my original was 7", my largest now is 9", 2 of them are 6", and the other 3 are only 2", and none of them show much aggression what so ever.

of course, if yours is showing aggression badly at that size, it isnt a great idea to keep it, as the others said, to many large fish for that tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TheFishGuy said:
They should not be sold.
The do you mean by this??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts