Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of your dempseys fall under the wet pet category? Or does anyone actually have an aggressive one that will bite at the glass at you? I know the rd/midas and bigger ca cichlids are usually the ones that do this. But I was curious/hopeful.
Mine is very interactive and loves to be at the front of the tank or near me in general, so I was just looking to see other peoples experiences.
And he seems to have aggression in spurts, some days he is aggressive towards my gt and others they are the best of friends, he does however like to eat my danios from time to time.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have had them both ways. Don't under estimate the jack dempseys. They can hold their own. I have 10 of them at the moment. You really don't want a mean dempsey. It will out grow most of what you have with it. I love these fish!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea? I love my dempsey too, he is my favorite for sure and he isn't really aggressive, more so assertive and just let's the gt know who the boss is when needed. But I do plan on rehoming the gt I have a tank cycling for him. My dempsey is still small, around the 4 inch margin. So I am assuming he is still in puberty age?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dempsey's all come to the front of the tank any time I'm near it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mine must fall into the wet pet range. The alpha male will eat from my fingers and the beta male and females, I can just grab and hold....with minimal chasing. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riceburner said:
Mine must fall into the wet pet range. The alpha male will eat from my fingers and the beta male and females, I can just grab and hold....with minimal chasing. :D

How'd you pull that off? I can hand feed mine and pet it sometimes... I want to be able to hold him lol.

·
Registered
977 Posts
No idea. I was surprised they held still enough for me to grab em. They eventually decide it's enough and flop around enough to wiggle free. I make sure I hold them over open water. Maybe they don't see me as a threat....until now. :oops:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...and how many of you keep them in a 55. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews saying its too small of a tank and will make them have an arched spine. I don't have the money for a 75, and like I said he is still small, only 4 inches at the most.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I grow out jds in a 55 and put them in bigger tank later.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think a 55 gallon is fine, I haven't seen too many JDs get larger than 10 inches. You could also get a 40 gallon breeder, you lose a foot in tank length bu the extra 6 inches in depth make a big difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
my female is only about 5in and she has her cave if i stick my fingers by it she flares up and charges my hand lol

but shes very scared of ppl up clase to the tank which sucks bc shes very pretty

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine was for sure a wet pet. He loved to eat from my had and would jump out of the water a good five inches or so. From time to time he would even rub against my hand while I was cleaning the tank. But he was still the guy that ran the tank.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man, I love my dempsey more and more every day. I can finally see his teeth which surprised me. I didn't realize he would get visible teeth :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts