Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
general advise please.

are they social?? whats the minimum tank size, whats the approach to feeding. advisable to mix with other fish?

I might have some 48by18by15(high) tanks, would this be suitable for a group of 6. or just a pair. (in which case I'd end up with 4 fish I'd have to get rid of... not something I like doing)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Haven't kept them, but reading other forums on them, they tend to bloat easily and are more aggressive than most other texas species.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
There are a few keepers of them on monsterfishkeepers.com (have seen all the posts on them there), might be worth a try. Pretty enough fish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got a group of 6 fry at an auction and am now down to 2. They do need very clean water and a veggie based diet. They do stress bloat if you look at them too long..... Tank size seems fine to start with a group of 6 and them remove all but the pair.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Please get them and try to breed them. They are endangered in the wild and are actually on the ACA C.A.R.E.S. list. I have a pair that I got a couple of weeks ago and they are still small about 2" but so far they seem to be fine together and the female displays her breeding dress since day 1. My tank is temp 80-82 and the pH is close to 8. They are housed with a breeding group of Geophagus altifrons in a 80 gallon tank (48x18x20). I feed mostly frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp and they also get chopped peas every day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts