Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 90l tank, got a aqua one aquis 750 filter and the following fish. I know some of their latin names but please can people give me their real names after watching the video and pics below

In leyman terms

1 plec (never comes out)
2 X Orange
3 X camoflage
1 X yellow
2 X ice blue i believe, blue with orange fins. striped
2 x yellow/silver/blacks
3 x blues

Love them all to bits and feed them once a day either cichlid pellets, or frozen blocks of either spinach or meat (larvae etc)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How soon? i understood i might when they grow but when do you think?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Nice looking set, nice looking fish, But they aren't suitable for the tank
The one with brown spots on it some sort of Nimbochromis which will grow to about 12" and needs a 6 foot tank.
The yellow one is a Yellow lab. They is also a Lab hongi ( the very nice orange and blue with vertical barring)there, a pundamilla neyerei( the one with the orangey yellow blaze through its side), a Met. Callainos (the blue one), a Met. estherea.( The red one)
Nice set up but i would buy a bigger tank or maybe 2 :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long do you think i can stay like this? i would buy a big tank tomorrow if it was not for the misses :roll:

Need her to love the :fish: more like i do

G

·
Technicall you could get away with it for a while...but they do grow quickly! Given the right food and water changes, I'd say a couple months and they'll be maturing and will need a bigger tank I'm afraid!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'd say you'll need at least a 55g.(48" long) in a couple months time and like Gibbs said, if you decide to keep the camo fish, you'll eventually need a 6ft. long tank.

Used 55g. tanks are pretty easy to find on craigslist.org. You've got some gorgeous fish there. I dunno how your misses could help but to love them bunches and want a bigger tank for them :D .

G

·
Wait til they have some fry...they're so cute when they act like adult fish, flaring their tiny dorsals at each other, thinking they're tough! She's bound to love them then!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well good news, upon mentioning this thread to her last night she said as long as we only have one tank in the flat i can get another but means not having two at once (will keep my 90l as an emergeny tank)

So i want a 5ft/6ft one thats quite thin (depth) so i can get one with a stand and put it behind my sofa so you cant see the stand only the glass. So excited :D :D will get one in about 2 months but am going to shop on ebay and se my eyes peeled as used tanks seem to go for cheap and will take all i have from my 90l and place in the bigger one and just upgrade (and sneak some more in lol)

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Well, if you already have 6 species, you won't want to be adding any more species. You've got enough there to fill up a 72" tank already. But you DO need to add females. Malawi male cichlids need a harem of females to spread their aggression so no one female is harassed or killed. So get the bigger tank as soon as you can. Then identify the fish you have. And finally add females so you have 1m:4f of each. Some species, such as Demasoni, do better in much larger groups (12 for small tanks, 20 or more for large tanks).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Taken on board would love to breed them when i have more experience. Had a worry over the weekend with the fish gasping but on sunday got an aerator, brilliant bit of kit and there are alot of bubbles now on the surface and i have never seen the fish so happy and active, sure one of them even smiled at me :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well getting a new tank this week will let it settle and then just add females of my current species

1 - 12 of 12 Posts