Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm usually pretty good at IDing the fish that people post on here, but this one is just baffling me. I'm aware that it's likely a hybrid. I'm just looking for a general idea of what it might be. I know for a fact that it's female, as I have a youngster from her mouth (see below).

This is it when I bought it (about 6 months ago, it was 2" then):

This is it now (3.5"):

Note the edge of the dorsal. It's a bit of a ham, so it's been chasing all the others as I took photos (hence the tight fins, darting around).

If this helps at all, here's the sole survivor (I didn't attempt to save any) of a brood it had with (I assume) my red zebra:

·
Registered
551 Posts
The young version looks sorta enlongatus ish. The older ones head makes me think metriaclima.

The offspring looks almost like a red zebra which could point toward a parent that is also part metriaclima.

If I were forced to guess I would say psuedotropheus sp. enlongatus and metriaclima lombardoi, of course any other guess would likely be just as accurate.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I thought Psudotropheus sp. Elongatus interruptus in the mix when I saw photo#2, But I thought maybe even crossed with a melano (several are yellow when juvies, but lombardoi are the opposite, mind you genes might not behave as they would normally during development).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts