Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 10 mixed mbuna. All were fine until a few days ago one stopped eating and just hangouts in the rocks by the bottom and doesn't swim around as much. All others are totally fine except the one. Not sure if it's bloat or some other parasite. Need help

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of the tank?

What are the species and genders?

What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How did you cycle your tank, when did your cycle finish (meaning ammonia and nitrite are consistently zero) and when did you add the fish?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran out of test strips for the tank a few days ago and I'm waiting for them in the mail since the nearest LFS is over an hour away. Last time I checked numbers were all good. Did fishless cycle for about a week or so then added fish. They've all been ok for like 3 weeks until these last few days just the one has been acting funny. They're mixed mbuna from live fish direct so I'm not sure all the specific species and sexes

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
The test results are going to be key, so we will wait. A cycle takes an average of six weeks. It's always one that shows symptoms first. What are the dimensions of your tank? You can post pictures of your fish in the Unidentified Forum to find out the species or if they are hybrids.

If you have more than 3 males in a group of 10 you could have aggression because there are not enough females.

Is there a bulge under the chin of the one who is not eating? Could it be a holding female?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No they're all too small for breeding. The one acting funny swims around sometimes and then is on the ground in one spot other times. He's gotten a little better today after a water change and substrate clean as well as moving all my rocks. Still have me worried about bloat though since it's not eating

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
They are less than 1.5" including tail?

I would isolate the fish in a hospital tank until you get the test results.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
No many species can hold at 1.5". How much water do you change and how often? Changing water daily at the same % they are used to can only help until you figure out what the problem is.

Of course, if you do that and the problem was water quality you will never know without the "before" test results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: fish is more lively. I think he's stressed and have noticed the others tend to mess with him and he's trying to get away from them. He's staying more up by the wave maker and less on the ground now. Thinking he's stressed

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Yes they lurk under the surface when they are being harassed. We don't know the gallons or dimensions of your tank so we can't tell what percent 15G is. I would do daily water changes, maybe 20G today and 25G tomorrow depending on how many gallons you have.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
You need to work up to 50% weekly on your water changes.

You did 15 gallons which is not quite 30% so tonight do 40% and tomorrow do 50%.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do I do water changes that big regularly or just to get rid of whatever may be causing him to act that way

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
50% weekly is usually the minimum and do more if test results indicate you need to.

We are guessing you have toxins in the water, maybe from an incomplete cycle. The test results would have confirmed, but you don't have your test kit as yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: on duty at the station today and fiancé saw him with bloated stomach this morning. She came home from the store later in the day and found him belly up. Lost him. Had her do water change since I'm on duty and the station until Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts