Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Tank is cycled & have been doing water changes to get nitrates down but i am having no luck. i tested the tap water today & found that there is 40 ppm in the tap water. the tank water is around 80ppm. have done 25% water change 3 days ago, 50% yesterday & 50% today. i have fish coming tomorrow. what can i do? tank specs are:

ph - 8.2
GH - 10
KH - 13
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 80

any suggestions would be appreciated. this is our first try at cichlids.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain. My well water also has high nitrates.I bought 5, 5 gallon water cooler bottles and purchase water from my local grocery store.They have a glacier water machine,and sell water for 30 cents per gallon.I add ph buffer and cichlid salts to it.Other than a nitrate filter which can be kind of pricey or a DYI denitrator found here http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=184805 its about the only options..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just checked with test strips for grins & nitrates are just a hair above 0. think i have a bad API kit? can i rely on the test strip results? shook the heck out of the bottles before i tested.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I’ve found that the API nitrate test shows a false low reading if you don’t shake it enough. So, I don’t think that’s your issue. Did you see any decrease in nitrates after each water change? If not, it seems that the test results are incorrect. If tank nitrates are above 40, then any water you change out should move you closer to 40ppm - if you really do have 40ppm in the tap water.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there has been no change in nitrates after each water change. guess i should get a new kit. thanks

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
What is the source of your water? Private well? Public water supply? If it is public water supply, I would be surprised by that high reading. The other question might be on the testing. Any chance of a local shop or other fish people in the area that you could cross check the readings? Next thought is not meant to be offensive but just exploring possible answers. How confident do you feel about your reading the test? Best solution for your situation would be if there was a mistake in doing the test. I find I can get the wrong answer to some really simple questions sometimes. That would sure beat having to buy bottled water. Any chance the readings are being done in different light so that it tricks your eyes? I try to use the same light each time so that the colors are not different in that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
water is city water. i tested the soft water as well as the by-pass water. i have tested those & the tank 2x's each. made sure i shook the bottles at least a minute & the vial at least a minute after. definately around 40ppm from tap & tank is higher.

is there anything that i can do as i have fish coming tomorrow overnight express? chemicals, filter pads, etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts