Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon tank. 1 convict 2 electric yellows 6 tiger barbs 2 electric yellows. My tank has been set up for almost 4 months now the ph is 7.0 alkalinity 120 nitrate 0. Everyone seems to be healthy and fine untill about a week ago I started to notice my convict has a red swollen spot at the base of one fin. I have a picture but don't know how to post any help is appreciated. [/url]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shawncdcac said:
Http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/shawntc1/photo jpg[/url]
Link doesn't work. Try http://imageshack.us/ if you can't get photobucket to work.

As for your fish all I can do is throw out ideas... Red marks around your fish's anus or skin ulcerations has been listed as a symptom of bloat (however I've never actually seen it as a symptom in my fish that had bloat). Does your fish have any other bloat symptoms? Another possibility would be the logical solution that maybe he's just getting bullied. Have you noticed any of that? Probably a good idea to remove the fish to a quarantine tank for the time being anyway though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen any other signs of bloat. And he is the biggest fish in the tank and the bully of tetank. I will quarantine starting today. Does anyone know of any medications or treatment to put in the water

·
Registered
18 Posts
You probably don't want to medicate too much until you have a good idea what's wrong, but Metronidazole is a good, relatively safe med for treating various bacterial and parasite infections. Melafix might work to help heal the sore if you don't want to treat with one of the stronger meds for infections yet. And then of course there's the option to not medicate and just observe him to see if it gets better on its own when he's in the quarantine tank without other fish to cause stress. If you have any other details and possible symptoms it would help the possibility of someone on here diagnosing the problem properly.

I'd personally be hesitant to medicate until I know for sure what I'm trying to treat, so I think that just putting him in a quarantine tank alone and observing to see if it gets any better or worse is a step in the right direction. From there if he gets worse then you can possibly see more of the symptoms and make sure you use the right medication. Also, if you do find out that he has some sort of disease you'll want to consider treatment options for the main tank as well to prevent further outbreak. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this link works to see the picture. I just moved him into a quarantine tank. It also looks like this is starting to form on the other fin also. All other fish still look healthy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts