Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank has been set up for about a month. Fish are looking normal and are active. Although i think there appetite has gone down a bit but they are still very active. My cousin has been helping with my tank but hes not around much to help because of work schedule so i come here for some help please. I did a 25-30% water change yesterday.

These are my levels.

Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- .5
Hardness (GH)- 75
Chlorine- 0
Alkalinity (KH)- 80
pH- 7.5
Ammonia- 1.0

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I guess you're trying to get the Ph up? Have you got a buffer in the substrate and/or filter?

Your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate look good. High phosphate levels can interfere with the Kh<->Dh ratio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, trying to get Ph and hardness up and lower ammonia. I dont have any type of buffer in my filter or gravel.

I have some coral that i used for small passage ways and caves, i noticed it got the water clouded at first but its much better now but still a bit cloudy when i look at it from the side of the tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get some crushed coral! I brought my 125 up from 7.4 to 8.0 with 12 pounds, well washed, and it's holding perfectly.

(and 1ppm of ammonia isn't really bad). If you want it out, add some floating anacharis. The plant pulls it right out of the water column!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Lion of Zion said:
This tank has been set up for about a month. Fish are looking normal and are active. Although i think there appetite has gone down a bit but they are still very active. My cousin has been helping with my tank but hes not around much to help because of work schedule so i come here for some help please. I did a 25-30% water change yesterday.

These are my levels.

Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- .5
Hardness (GH)- 75
Chlorine- 0
Alkalinity (KH)- 80
pH- 7.5
Ammonia- 1.0
You're still cycling. Keep an eye on the ammonia, try not to let it go over 1ppm, if it does, water change with dechlorinator (recommend Prime). Same goes for nitrite. What size is the tank and what are it's inhabitants?
You're on your way. Next time you can fishless cycle by adding ammonia, no stress on your fish.
Some good reading here.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You shouldn't still have ammonia after a month. The ammonia level is what may be affecting the fish and is what you should be focusing on. Any amount of ammonia or nitrite is not good. There's never an 'ok' level. What type of filters and are you cleaning them? Reason I ask is that in a new setup you should leave the filters alone for 2-3 months. Excessive cleaning or any cleaning can inhibit the bacteria that you need to process ammonia and nitrite. Your nitrite level at this point is typical and just something to keep an eye on as the tank completes cycling.

pH and KH are fine for now. Don't even tinker with them at this point. Increasing pH will also increase the toxicity of the ammonia.

Continue with the water changes and try to keep ammonia and nitrite below 1ppm.

Go easy on the feeding. Very lightly once per day.

Don't add any more fish right now.

Don't clean the filters.

Add a detox product like Prime or Ammolock daily with each water change.

Don't make any changes to the decor, etc right now. The less tinkering, the better.

Post back if you have any questions or to let us know how it's going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts