Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, i need your recommendation please.

I have a 125g tank with sump filter, everything looks good now, my cichlids are breeding and everything, but im affraid i have death spots, im running a HYGGER 2120 GHP return pump, but i do have death spots.

Do you think i need a canister filter, don´t really like them cuz they always have leaking issues, but, ¿What can i do to avoid those death spots in my tank?, please a little help from the pros will be the best.

Thank you and sorry for bothering so much with my crazy questions. ;):rolleyes::D

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
Is this your tank with the in-tank background and the pump output nozzle on the upper left side of the tank? I'm not sure if you changed anything from your last pics of the tank setup or not.

You could adjust the nozzle output every week or so so that it sweeps a different part of the tank to reduce dirt build up on the substrate if that is what you are seeing.

The other option would be to add a power head or circulator pump in the tank and direct it to help move dirt/debris that build up on the substrate.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
+1 to Deeda on all info.
-
And definitely - NO - on adding a canister filter to your aquarium!
With sump filtration, you have maximum flexibility in directing that exhaust water flow from the sump, to wherever you like in the aquarium it supports. A couple ideas,
- Build and install a 'T' fitting from the return pump to direct the flow to another nozzle or spray bar in the tank.
Or,
- Add another, possibly smaller submersible pump to the sump, with it's own piping to another nozzle or spray bar in the tank.

Plus, if you are possibly going to build and add another source of discharge water from your sump? Don't forget to install a little anti-siphon hole in the discharge piping, to keep from overflowing your sump when the power is shut off!

Reactions: pakach61

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this your tank with the in-tank background and the pump output nozzle on the upper left side of the tank? I'm not sure if you changed anything from your last pics of the tank setup or not.

You could adjust the nozzle output every week or so so that it sweeps a different part of the tank to reduce dirt build up on the substrate if that is what you are seeing.

The other option would be to add a power head or circulator pump in the tank and direct it to help move dirt/debris that build up on the substrate.
Yes, the same tank it is, where to point the nozzle output.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 to Deeda on all info.
-
And definitely - NO - on adding a canister filter to your aquarium!
With sump filtration, you have maximum flexibility in directing that exhaust water flow from the sump, to wherever you like in the aquarium it supports. A couple ideas,
- Build and install a 'T' fitting from the return pump to direct the flow to another nozzle or spray bar in the tank.
Or,
- Add another, possibly smaller submersible pump to the sump, with it's own piping to another nozzle or spray bar in the tank.

Plus, if you are possibly going to build and add another source of discharge water from your sump? Don't forget to install a little anti-siphon hole in the discharge piping, to keep from overflowing your sump when the power is shut off!
Do you have any pictures where you could show me all the posibilities of whats i can do extra please

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Well....
It's a DIY thing, I guess. Typically with vinyl hose run up from the sump to the aquarium. PVC fittings are used (and modified sometimes) to connect everything up.
Might be better to just install an electric powerhead down into the tank to provide a strong source of additional current, and blow out those dead spots.

Reactions: pakach61

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....
It's a DIY thing, I guess. Typically with vinyl hose run up from the sump to the aquarium. PVC fittings are used (and modified sometimes) to connect everything up.
Might be better to just install an electric powerhead down into the tank to provide a strong source of additional current, and blow out those dead spots.
thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
Hey @pakach61 , can you post the video you made and posted from over on MFK? I see you've gotten some great suggestions over there though I think you are limited by only having one outlet pipe/flex ball & socket nozzle on this tank. You may have to 'play' with adjusting the nozzle to move the debris to an area where you can hand siphon it out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey @pakach61 , can you post the video you made and posted from over on MFK? I see you've gotten some great suggestions over there though I think you are limited by only having one outlet pipe/flex ball & socket nozzle on this tank. You may have to 'play' with adjusting the nozzle to move the debris to an area where you can hand siphon it out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There you go guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Slap one of these in your tank. Used one in my reef for years and have one in my 150 peacock/hap tank. Nice laminar flow keeps all the detritus suspended. I'd go up a size for anything over a 4ft tank.

Office supplies Font Auto part Engineering Electronic device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello guys, i need your recommendation please.

I have a 125g tank with sump filter, everything looks good now, my cichlids are breeding and everything, but im affraid i have death spots, im running a HYGGER 2120 GHP return pump, but i do have death spots.

Do you think i need a canister filter, don´t really like them cuz they always have leaking issues, but, ¿What can i do to avoid those death spots in my tank?, please a little help from the pros will be the best.

Thank you and sorry for bothering so much with my crazy questions. ;):rolleyes::D
You could buy a powerful wave maker, they really do work wonders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts