Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last night because was trying to figure out if the fish I had just purchased from the LFS would be too much, too little or all wrong?!?

I was kindda worried because it didn't seem right to have some of these fish together. (especially The Mel Auratus) but they didn't say anything at the LFS except, How big is your tank and long has it been running?

I have experience with mubuna, but these fish are kindda new to me. (I have some generale knowledge).

What I do know is the Auratus tortured 1 Frontosa 1 Moorii and 1 Hap Ahli (all dead when I came home from work).
How I know this? They were chasing everyone around the tank, but I didn't know it would go this far!

I have a 90g setup wth the following...

1 Hap Ahli
1 Moorii
2 Red cap Peacocks
1 Frontosa
1 Bleekeri - Think this is a Madagascar cichlid, but was in the same tank as the rest in the LFS and it's in the fish profiles under Paratilapia polleni or similar to this one.

I'm assuming they will outgrow this tank? I will move them to a bigger one if I need to when the time comes.

Should I remove any others or is this ok? Can I add any others or would that be too much?

Thanks in advance fish lovers!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Seems to me that you have too few fish for a 90 gallon, not too many.

I do hear you about the auratus though - sympathies with the losses.

With malawi Mbunas, you generally want to keep them in harems, one male with 4 or so females.

Exceptions, the fishies called demasoni want much larger groups, one male with 12 females, and the auratus seem to want something similar, although it seems no one has had much luck with them.

Then, Mbunas tend to be more agressive than peacocks and haps, making those fish not show their ful colours and sometimes stressing them out to the point of death. Many people have however kept them together without too much hassle, it seems.

Isn't the frontosa a tanganyikan? Also, they get BIG, 12''.

I think it might be time to google your fishies, read up on their species profiles. This will, if nothing else, arm you with more information about agression and compatability, from where you can figure out what you want to do with your tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.