Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am essentially not even a hobbyist yet, but want to get into it. I have twin 6 yr old boys and want to get them a pet. I am super allergic to cats/dogs, so I was thinking in the direction of getting them Oscars. I have done some research, and want to get a 125g up to 180g tank. I am wondering if you all have any advice on where to find a good deal?

I know a lot goes into keeping these wonderful creatures, and I will not be purchasing them until I am much more educated. I want to start with the tank, and learn more from there (water conditions, heaters, filters, water changes, tank-mates, etc).

Thanks in advance!
-Starchy

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Check out your local Craigslist. Be ready to travel a few miles, and rent a U-haul to pick something nice up, if necessary. The deals are there, if you are patient.
As for the pair of Oscars? Sounds great! Get at least a six foot long, 125 gallon tank. And, be ready to jump on something bigger if it falls into your lap with a great deal. Oh, and don't get those twin, 6 year old boys this aquarium. Not for them!
This one is on YOU, and be sure to share your passion for keeping this aquarium and those fish with your boys.
-
Everything else is... extra credit. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
My return to keeping aquariums was triggered by a son wanting an oscar. I ended up getting a 36" tank filled with demasoni...thinking better to start small.

Long story short? Be 110% prepared for the hobby to be yours. 20 years later, no one in my family has the slightest interest in keeping fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts