Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for advice on what I can mix together in my 55 gallon tank that currently has 3 adult lemon yellows, 1 adult demasoni, 3 A. stuartgranti (1 adult, 2 juvies), 1 S. fryeri iceberg. I lost most of the fish due to a heater sticking (on).

The tank primarily with be demasoni and yellow labs, I am picking up a large group (20) of demasoni and some yellow labs tomorrow, all apparently 1 1/2". I expect to reduce the # of demasoni as the males mature, hope to end up with 12-15 adults. On top of these 2 groups of fish I'd love to sprinkle in a few other fish for some variation.

I also have a 90 gallon mbuna tank with the fish listed in my signature.

Questions:

1) I would like ~5-6 yellow labs in this tank. The current dominant 4" male has done some tail damage to the other 2 (3") and certainly spends a fair amount of his time chasing them around. My options are 1) to move all 3 to my 90 and add 6 juvies 2)remove the big male to the 90, keep the 2 3" fish and add 4 juvies 3) leave the 3 in the current tank and add 3 juvies and hope the additional fish will spread out the aggression of the male without killing the juvies. Thoughts?

2) I am assuming I will have to remove the 3 A. stuartgranti's. Wondering if the adult (4+") might be OK. Your thoughts?

3) I am hoping my S. fryeri iceberg (5") will be fine to stay in the 55g. He is beautiful and has zero issues with any of the current fish. I'd rather not move him to the 90g as I already have 1 in this tank (4", only non-mbuna in the tank, gets along fine) Thoughts?

4) My current adult male demasoni started as a juvie 4 yrs ago in a group of maybe 9. He's the only one that survived, guess that makes him a natural killer. Not sure if he should stay with the juvies or move him to the 90g? Think he remembers the taste of blood from 4 yrs ago?? lol ;)

5) I have I believe 2 L. mbambas (1 is for sure) in the 90, slightly different colour patterns. I am wondering if 1 (he's for sure L mbamba, looks very similar to http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc94 ... mba_KB.jpg from what I remember...he hasn't shown his colours in a very long time as the other really picks on him without too much actual body damage. If he colours up in the other tank his markings would be somewhat similar to the demasoni. Will this be a problem even though the demasoni aggression tends to be within the colony?

6) I also have a single male Cynotilapia afra cobue in the 90 that mostly stays in the rocks and doesn't display too much. Wondering if he might be an option to add to the 55? It would be nice to enjoy this fish more, he's a beauty when he wants to show.

Thanks in advance any advise you can give.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I'd avoid the mbamba as too much of a look-alike with the demasoni. And the cobue, if he already is not displaying will be intimidated by the demasoni.

Socolofi would be a nice tank mate if you really want 3 species.

Fryeri is usually too big for a 55G IMO.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the mbamba was too similar, good point about the cobue, wasn't sure if he would become more aggressive or not with the smaller demasoni. I have thought of socolofi, have always wanted them or M. callainos. Have a chance (not often) to have some socolofi flown in for only 15-20 shipping. May go that route once these fish are in and settled. The S. fryeri seems maxed out at 5" and seems to be doing very well, had him nearly 4 years.

I have several M. greshakei and I could put a male in the 55 but I'm thinking he might be too big and perhaps too dominant. For about 2 1/2 yrs they ruled the 90 until the L. mbamba took over and now is king

1 - 3 of 3 Posts