Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post....be aware

Hey folks, quick update. I bought a big ol group of mbunas from a reputable source and have had my tank up and running for approx 8 months now. I realize venting is the only true way to sex the fish but based on behaviors, colours, and holding females I have I beleive a decent idea of my ratios. So based off of that I need help on adding/trading in males to even out ratios. Below is my list with my m/f believed or close to accurate assessment lol

6 Cyno sp. Hara 3M/3F--My most aggressive species the 2 biggest males rule the tank. Thinking of trading in my smallest subdom male for 2 more females.

4 Lab. Var. Red top Hongi 4 males--started with 5, I beleive i had 1 female, due to so many males I think they killed the lone female. Wanna trade in my 3 smaller males for 3-4 females

5 Met. Msobo 1M/4F-- totally lucked out here. 1 male coloring up nicely I beleive the rest are nice big females. Jury is still out but pretty sure I have 1M/4F

5 Lab lundo is. "Zebra lab" my biggest mystery species. I know I have 1 large male, I beleive 3 subdom males, and 1 female. Wanna trade in all subdom males for 3 or 4 more females.

5 Met. Sp. Chewere 3M/2F--hands down my most docile group. Don't really bother anyone or even eachother. Probably just gonna leave group as is unless problems arise.

So bases off of that. Are my recommended changes Good? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
I am surprised so many blue barred species are working for you. Your plan sounds OK, but know that any changes can upset the balance even for the currently docile ones. Also at 8 months you may see more problems coming up over the next3-6 months.

I'd add a group of 5 Synodontis multipunctatus.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the feedback DJ, yeah due to a decent amount of species in the tank I've had very little overall aggression in tank. Cynos are breeding like rabbits and have yet to have any other breed, hence I think I'm somewhat male heavy. I suppose I'll just play it by ear and keep and eye on things moving forward

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
I would not save fry...thus the Synodontis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts