Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I was out of town for about 3 weeks, when I came home my husband and daughter had "surprised" me with new rainbows. That's great, but they didn't QT, and next thing I know I start loosing fish right and left. I'm now down to 3 cichlids, a danio and 3 plecos. I thought I finally kicked the problem by treating them with an anti-parasitic. They were looking 100% better, the two that looked bad started eating again, and I went 3 or 4 weeks without loosing any fish, then, last week I found my male Afra floating. Now, the two that weren't eating before are again spiting food and starting to get skinny.

Please, any suggestions?? The water tests right, and I keep up on the water changes fairly regularly.

Should I try the anti-parasitic meds again? Or, what do you suggest? I don't know what else to do, and I really don't want to loose any more fish. The only ones that look not affected are the plecos and danio, all three cichlids look poor.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I treated them with this -
http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=62

Treats a wide variety of parasitic diseases including velvet, anchor worm, fish lice, hole-in-the-head disease (Hexamita spp. & Spironucleus spp.), gill & skin flukes (Dactylogyrus spp. & Gyrodactylus spp.). For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. This medication will not color the aquarium water.

I treated them with this because I lost a young one that looked like it had something attached. After treatment, everyone was acting great. That was maybe 5 weeks ago. I did the entire treatment. Used 1 pack per 10 gal (its a 125 gal tank), then after 48 hours, treated again, waited a couple days, then did a big water change.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just lost another one, tho that might have been for fighting. Can anyone give any suggestions???

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looked like he had a red thing poking out of his side, almost looked like a pimple, but with a ragged tip.

I looked at both cichlids very closely last night. My Salousi male is normal color, but skinny, no other outward symptoms other than not eating. He will not even try to eat, will swim toward it, but will not take it. The red zebra (OB) seems to have a bit of faded color, especially on his head. He's the one that will take food, and shows a lot of interest, but will spit it right back out. I think he's the reason the Maingano is dead, tho. I found them fighting for the zebra's spot the other night, so I re-arranged some things. Found the maingano pretty close to where he has claimed.

Like I said, the only one swimming and eating normally is the giant dainio. She's a transplant from my friends tank (sold to her as a rainbow). She is healthy and fat, I've had her for over two years now.

My tank looks pathetic. All these beautiful rocks, plants, sand, and I've got two cichlids, a danio and three rubber lipped plecos...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm by no means an illness expert so you might want to wait for a second opinion.
It sounds like your fish either contracted something from the rainbows or developed an illness due to stress.
As far as treatment goes, it's difficult to say 'treat with this' because we don't really know what we're treating for, possibly an internal parasite.
Personally, I would likely treat again with Seachem Metroplex (metronidazole).
Perform a water change, vacuum and remove any carbon filtration prior to medicating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts