Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new with aquarium plants and have had bad luck with everything except for an Anubias and a few Hygrophila. The only plant that has actually grown is the Anubias, while the Hygrophila just survives. I would really like to add more plants, and would like to get some info on what I may need to do.

I have a 55 gallon Tanganyikan tank and the water parameters are 0/0/5, pH is 8.8ish, GH is 11 and KH is 17. I have a 48" Beamswork DA FSPEC dimmed ~50% that is on for 12hrs and dose with Excel. I asked my LFS for an all-in-one and they said Excel would do the trick (I was happy until I Googled it after buying it). A couple of months ago, I tried some Flourish tabs with no luck, but have since ordered some Nilocg Thrive that is on the way.

Why can't I get these "easy" plants to grow? Will the Thrive solve all my problems, or should I look into something else? Do I have my plants incorrectly placed? This is my third attempt at getting various plants (mostly Vals) to take hold. Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Here are pictures of the tank and sad plants that were added about 3-4 weeks ago, all of which were looking great when I first got them:

The tank

Some type of Crypt melting away

Another type of Crypt not looking so great

Some jungle Val withering away

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
What are your test results for nitrate and phosphate? Plants need both to grow and in a certain ratio. My best luck with plants involved weekly testing and dosing. CO2 does help as well, even for plants that don't need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I do weekly water changes and keep the nitrates under 10ppm. My last water test a couple of days ago indicated 5ppm. I don't have a test for phosphate, but will pick one up the next time I get to my LFS. I was under the impression that Excel (which I dose every other day) would be an effective alternative to CO2 injections, is that correct?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your tank looks super clean, too clean for root feeders. They want that mulm buildup. Put a root tab under each plant helps quite a bit. Hard water plants will also help, your light in the 6500 range helps even more. Nothing compares to co2 it's amazing excel is not even close to comparable in my usage. I wouldn't use co2 unless your ready it's definitely driving the super car full throttle. Crypts will melt lots of times when new leave it where you put it don't move them. Test your nitrates let them creep to 15 if you dare let those plants use some. If algae is a problem then plants will do well. I do it one of two ways fill the tank full of plants day one or wait till my algae is growing and stable then add lots of plants.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You may have to add phosphate and nitrate (I did) and I used individual solutions (nitrate and phosphate) so I could control how much of each was in the tank. It is a lot of testing and dosing and balancing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.