1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_8404.JPG
IMG_8403.JPG
IMG_8402.JPG
I am new to the cichlid hobby and have yet to add any fish to my aquarium. I have a 90 gallon tank and have so far added four 20 lb bags of eco complete cichlid sand. I have added sea chem prime and sea chem stability per the instructions on the bottle. I have a fluvial fx4 for filtration and I am running carbon and zero lite crystals in the media socks as well. I set my tank up on Thursday and the photos listed are from today (Sunday). I have noticed that the tank has a white milky appearance and that the sand appears to be covered by this. Is this considered new tank syndrome? Any suggestions on how to correct it? Or does it just have to run its course? Thanks or any constructive advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!!

Just a guess but will assume that the cloudiness is due to fine debris left from the sand especially if you didn't rinse it prior to use. Does it get worse when you stir up the sand in the tank?

Where do you have media socks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Deeda,
I have not agitated the sand since I put it in. The bags for the sand said not to rinse the sand before putting it In the tank. The media socks are in the last try and the top tray of the fluval fx4 (There are three trays total I believe).

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Yeah I was fairly certain the sand instructions for that brand say not to rinse before use and I find it a common complaint on the forums.

The usual method to filter out the very fine particles is to use filter floss or similar fine media to catch the particles but this can be difficult with canister filters as it requires opening them up frequently to change the floss.

Do you happen to have any other filters laying around such as a power filter, often called a hang-on-back filter?

BTW, is this a glass or acrylic tank? It appears to be acrylic from the top view pic. I'm not sure you would even be able to fit a power filter if it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes this is an acrylic aquarium. Unfortunately no extra filters laying around. I was more concerned with the sand having a white layer over it. Not sure what is going on there.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Does the white layer look like dust or something else?

What you can do is use a syphon hose to lightly suck up the stuff on the sand surface into a pail and it should remove the dust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will try to syphon I didn't know if this was part of the cycling process so I didn't want to do any water changes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts