Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I got my first GT about a month and a half ago and I have a few questions that I hope you guys and girls out there can help me with. When I was at the LFS that I got it at I didn't notice anything that seemed different about this GT. However, when I got it home I saw that its one eye was different than the other one. I am not sure if any of you can tell me much about its eye or not. I can't tell if it can see out of it or not. I would say that at the least it has some problems. It always seems to get startled when other fish swim by on that side and it has problems with its depth perception (it sometimes misses the food it tries to eat).

Here are a couple of pics I took the other day. Tell me what you think:

I am not sure if the pics give a great view of the eye or not but I hope someone can tell me something about it. I would say that it looks like a "cat's eye".

Also I was thinking that I had a male GT but have never had one before. Am I correct that this is a male?

Any and all feed back will be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmm. You know I don't think I've run into a GT that has had that problem before but from what you describe I'd say he can see out of it but it's very limited. Kinda like a tunnel vision thing . He cant see the other fish untill they are right in the small field of veiw and it's probably like someone jumping out from behind a door from his perspective. A very limited field of view also explains his missing the food. It just kinda disappears from his line of sight. All in all though he ought to be fine. Mine still gets jumpy whenever someone moves to fast near his tank, and he's got two good eyes. I do believe yours is a male, and looks like he'll grow up to be a nice one too. Some better pics of the vent will help confirm the sex .
Good looking GT! :thumb:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joels fish
Thanks for the reply. Even with the problem eye I have still become attached to the little guy. I have named him Willy (as in One Eyed Willy). This is not to sound perverted, I just really like the movie Goonies (what can I say I am a child of the 80's).

I have tried to get a good shot at the vent but it is hard enough just to get an ok picture of his eye. The little guy doesn't like to get his picture taken. I have been trying to get a good vent pic and will post one if I am successful.

Anybody else out there have an opinion on the eye or the sex?

·
Registered
222 Posts
cage623 said:
Joels fish
Thanks for the reply. Even with the problem eye I have still become attached to the little guy. I have named him Willy (as in One Eyed Willy).
so you gonna invite girls back to your place to see your "one eyed willie" then?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol:

I don't think my wife would go for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.