Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to owning cichlids. I own a 46 gallon bowfront tank that is 36" by 20" by 12". Curently I have 5 electric yellows in the tank. Does anybody have any suggestions for tankmates I could add (if any)? I realize it is a small aquarium. I've always loved demasoni's, and have been told that they are able to be kept in a tank my size. Would it be possible to keep the two species in the tank together or not? Advice please :) ?

Oh yes, and I had one more question. I've noticed for quite a while now that my fish seem to be scared of people that walk by the tank. Whenever anyone walks by or gets close they immediately dart into the rocks. I've even had people walk up to the tank and think its got no fish in it because the fish were hiding from them and out of sight! Then when you walk away they start to swim out into the open again. Is this normal? :-?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Dems would work just fine. Start with 15 and plan on narrowing to 12.

Happens to me from time to time, especially when they're establishing territories/breeding/etc. Try adding more rocks. Sounds counterintuitive, but the idea is that the more hiding places they have, the less they'll use them. Generally that's pretty true.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I'd probably decrease the labs to a trio with a dozen demasoni in the tank.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you. I think maybe I will try adding some demasoni, and reducing the labs first. And also thank you for the extra advice on the hiding fish too. I was thinking also since the tank is not located in a particulaly high traffic zone that maybe they don't get accustomed to seeing people as often as I thought they did. But adding more hiding spaces may make them more comfortable, so maybe I'll throw in a few rocks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The fish will eventually get used to seeing people. It's normal with young fish. I have a grow out tank with about 35 cichlids, sometimes when I turn on the light or move suddenly it appears as though I have 5 cichlids. A few months from now they will beg like puppies for food when ever they see you. It really appears as a gravitational pull towards you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Chunkanese said:
The fish will eventually get used to seeing people. It's normal with young fish. I have a grow out tank with about 35 cichlids, sometimes when I turn on the light or move suddenly it appears as though I have 5 cichlids. A few months from now they will beg like puppies for food when ever they see you. It really appears as a gravitational pull towards you.
:thumb: yup, I have only had my labs and dems a week and at first they were spread through the tank and when I walked up they scattered. Now they swarm to me. It's funny. If I move to the side, they move to the side. I told my daycare kids I trained them :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts