Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 male and 7 female msobo's in my 55 gallon. They are all about 8 months old. For awhile now I've had 3 males turning color and looking nice. Each having their own territory. Just today I noticed one of them has lost most of his color and is hiding up underneath a filter.

Are 3 males able to survive in a 55 gallon? I've heard 1 is best but 3 is better than 2.

Anyway if 1 male will eventually kill off the other 2 I would rather get them out of there now.

All seem healthy. I haven't check gh or kh in awhile but keep nitrates below 10 with multiple 30-40% water changes each week. Also run a 24w UV light.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've found that a lone male Msobo gets a bit lazy and doesn't put in the effort with the females so breeding grinds to a halt.

2 males worked better than 3 for me because the 2 most dominant males ganged up and picked on the least dominant.

I also found that 4-6 females per male was a better ratio to spread out the males attention.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Some species do better with 2 males, some with 3. You may have found out that 2 will work better for you than 3. There is no set rule with cichlids - each one has its own personality - and may not follow the predicted outcome.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would be very careful removing a male at this point in time. You'd be surprised what you can do to a tank by adding or removing just one fish!

Are the Msobo the only fish in the tank? If so, I would add more females, and try to re-scape the tank to define 3 different territories, if possible.

My females matured faster than my male, and they literally terrorized him until he finally came into his own. Msobo girls are the roughest female mbuna I've ever kept! :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

I have 4 Callainos and 3 Acei as well in the tank.

That's interesting about female Msobo's being aggressive. Mine have been very timid. But they have always been the smallest in the tank. They Callainos are about 4 months older than everyone else.

I will leave him in. I was hoping that I could as I only have a 20 gallon to put anyone that won't be in the 55 gallon.

I will re-scape the rocks and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the comments.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good luck!

And my females didn't turn into terrorists until they reached about 3 inches. In fact, I had 4 girls to one male, and they all matured at once. Within a week, 3 of them spawned with the male, and the other one spawned the following week. But, the 3 females that weren't holding ganged up on the first female to spawn, and beat her up so badly that I lost her. None of the other 3 held to term, and I'm 99% sure it was due to the aggression from the other females and not the male. Next time, I'll pull the females as soon as they spawn.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long after changing the rocks around do I give it?

It's been about 36 hours since re-scaping and at first they were all very curious with the new section of rocks. The harassed male was out for awhile but since has been chased by the other 2 males and is back up behind the filter or over between the heater and UV light.

1 male has half the tank and 1 male has the other half. They both chase him of their claimed territory. I just feel bad for him, he is the only one in the tank that seems stressed.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If it was going to work, it would have worked from the start. This guy must be weakened, and in that case, they will always continue to pick on him. I would go ahead and remove him, but be prepared...Another may take his place. You may wind up with only one male Msobo.

Any problems with the callainos and the Msobo male in question? (Not two species I would keep together if I had any intentions of breeding, which it sounds like you might!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cichlidaholic said:
Any problems with the callainos and the Msobo male in question? (Not two species I would keep together if I had any intentions of breeding, which it sounds like you might!)
Actually no. I haven't witnessed anyone else harassing the male Msobo. So far the Callainos have kept their aggression to themselves.

Oh and just last night one of the strong male Msobo's was courting a female. This was the first I've seen the Msobo's even attempting. I'm not overly concerned if they breed or not but this is a nice looking group of F1's.

I've had one female Callainos hold but she must have swallowed them. Only held for about 3 days. I witnessed that mating.

If I do remove the male Msobo do you think he will be alright with 4 tetra's in a 20 gallon temporarily? Or would he kill them?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
He will probably kill them, unfortunately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Would a holding female kill the tetras?

I asked because apparently the mating was successful. At least I think. If a female is holding eggs does that mean they have been fertilized? And if I want the fry I should remove her now?

I have a divider for the 20 gallon if I have to use it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
She may kill the tetras, and she might swallow or spit the eggs trying to do it. Holding females tend to do much better in a tank alone, IME.

I plan to remove my Msobo females immediately following a spawn from here on in, just because the females are so brutally aggressive towards one another. (Once the male is finished spawning, he just moves on to the next females, but the females seem to hold some sort of twisted resentment towards the one he just spawned with...It's like a soap opera!)

If no one seems to be bothering her, you might try leaving her in the main tank for a week or so just to make sure she's going to hold.

I would really want to be certain that I witnessed the entire spawn before salvaging fry, though. I can easily see a callainos male jumping in on it, and spawns can last for hours...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent. Thank you for all your help Kim! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts