Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this little guy for about a week. he has dark blotches under his chin and around lips. is this bruising? or something i should be worried about? my Nitrites and ammonia are at zero and my tank has been cycled for months. He is usually the rowdiest fish in the tank and none of my other similarly sized cichlids chase him. He is usually the aggressor.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is the fish eating, still active, not acting reclusive, etc? I have come to learn and just get used to the fish getting scrapes and bumps every now and then from things like fighting, lip locking, brushing up against rocks, and so on. You figure that while you may spend a lot of time watching them, there are still many more hours where you aren't and all sorts of things are going on in the tank. As long as you keep a clean and healthy tank, the blemishes they get from time to time will go away.

But keep an eye on the fish to make sure and try not to worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh he acts perfectly healthy. first to the top for food, Fiesty always chasing my Acei's around the tank. I have never observed any actual fighting amongst any of the fish and despite him being the most rambunctious one he is the only one with any signs of being in a scuffle. The other fish usually give way to him and he is always swimming around like a bullet. Was just odd seeing the splotches. My Melanochromas Auratas (RIP) used to have them but I always attributed it to her digging through my clay sand. I have not observed him digging but he certainly could be. I am still new to cichlids and was just curious if the splotches themselves were worrisome. Other than the splotches and that bit of tail fin damage he seems and acts perfectly fit and healthy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Definitely looks like someone took a bite out of it's tail! I'd say the marks are wounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.