Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm hoping for some help identifying this cichlid. I'm fortunate to live in an area where "fish farms" are quite common. I've had the opportunity to get to know the owners of two farms within 15-minutes of my home.

The farmer I purchased this fish from never accepts more than $1-2 per fish. He has roughly 300 tanks that are always well-maintained. Most tanks are numbered, but not labeled - the numbers on the tanks correspond with a spreadsheet on his iPad.

This fish has a unique body shape (elongated head, primarily). I bought 4 to 5 that had the same coloration. The others have since turned pale silver-blue with slightly darker vertical bands. The fish were all between 1"-1.5" in length. The others that have changed color are ~2", whereas this fish is ~2.5" in length.

Any help is sincerely appreciated!

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Otopharnyx species maybe. Stigmatochromis species also has elongated bodies with 3 blotch juvenile/ female pattern.

Otopharnyx lithobates is the most common species, but I'm not sure if it could be something rarer, can't tell if that mouth is somewhat predatory or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noki said:
Otopharnyx species maybe. Stigmatochromis species also has elongated bodies with 3 blotch juvenile/ female pattern.

Otopharnyx lithobates is the most common species, but I'm not sure if it could be something rarer, can't tell if that mouth is somewhat predatory or not.
I think you're right! I *think* I remember him saying something about Sulphur Head, but I could be wrong - my friend has a strong accent. He said that they didn't look like much in the juvenile stage, but would eventually really "color up". The photo-angle I posted doesn't give a very good perspective on its head/mouth, but it doesn't have the shape of an Eye Biter, for example. The fish in the background of the attached image is nearly identical to the fish I have in my tank. I can't remember where/how I found that picture, but I searched the terms in your reply.

Thanks again for the quick and very helpful reply!

Matt
\

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts