1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
im new here, *** been involved with fish for over 30 years
my current tank is a 8 foot long 225 gallon thats in my living room wall

this used to be a salt water reef, but the electric bills were killing me, so about a year ago i sold everything but the tank and filters

i have one oscar in the tank, hes about 2.5 to 3 inches long

to be honest, my wife says hes boring in there by himself

hes been in there a week, we want to add other fish, but i dont know what would be good to put with him.

*** read alot before joining here,
according to other posts, heres our list
just want your input

fire mouth

silver dollars

severums

electric yellow cichlid

these seem to be compatible, we dont know how many (pairs or 3's)

what do u all suggest

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'd take the electric yellow off that list, mixing continents is doable, but not necessarily recommended.

I'd add Chocolates, Uaru, synspilum, and Jack Dempseys to that list

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, we listed the electric yellows, mainly because the would add some nice color to the tank
we read others had them in with oscars, but if they could cause a problem, they are out

should we buy pairs of tghe fish you recommended , or is it better to have just one of each?
thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Uhm.. Uaru needs water way warmer than the others.. plus Chocolates and Uarus aren´t nearly as agressive as JD or Quetzales..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
PepoLD said:
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Uhm.. Uaru needs water way warmer than the others.. plus Chocolates and Uarus aren´t nearly as agressive as JD or Quetzales..
Pepo, I wasn't suggesting to add ALL of these fish, I was just thinking of fish compatible with Oscars....

Clearly the Synspilum would have to have aggressive tankmates... As would the JD

My Oscar and Uaru are very happy and active in the 79-80 degree water here, pH 7.

Obviously if he chooses the Chocolate, it has to be a more "peaceful" setup, and vice versa if he chooses the Synspilum or the JD

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want an aggressive setup

That being said, since the Oscar in 2.5-3 inches now
Should the new fish be larger or smaller than the Oscar?

I'm also thinking about silver dollars
Would 6 be too many??

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
6 is fine, and it depends on how fast the fish you're adding grow, since the oscar will grow around an inch or more a month... Which fish are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
161 Posts
the tank is 225 gallons Wow! That Oscar is soo happy to have all that space.

Good tankmates for Oscar are definetly silver dollars..I have 4 of them with mine. And in a 225 gallon you go with a nice amount. Severums, Salvini (for color) U have a ton of options with a Tank that size. Please post pics! As far as oscars go..anything smaller than 4 inches he will try to put it in his mouth. But the tank is so big..that u may get away with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a buddy of mine had a green severum, i always liked the way it looked
i may pick up 2 if i can find them locally

im going out tonight to see what i can find that catches my eye

hopefully the lfs doesnt steer me in the wrong direction, when i bought coral from him, he was always decent to me,

im gonna stock slowly, i know silver dollars arent much of a bio load, especially in this size tank, so i may also pick up 6-8 smallish (1/2 dollar size) silver dollars

ill post some pics of the tank

gotta set up a new photo bucket account first

so gimme a week or so to get pics up

·
Registered
161 Posts
6 or 8 sound perfect...mine are juvies too and they are very cool to watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts