Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all....

been reading these threads for a long while and the info that i have gained has been fantastic...

anyway i would like to ask a few questions on my new oscar tank...

i have purchased a new juwel rio 240 tank and i am going to house a oscar in it...

it is a 240litre tank(about 63gal USA),it come with built in filtration and heater...

i am going to purchase a 2 inch oscar and my plan is to keep him by himself and grow him to his adult size and hopefully become friendly...done this once before...

i want to add a cannister external filter to run along side the tanks built in filter from the start...

i was going to buy a fluval fx5 to do the job but it wont fit into the cabinet due to its massive size so looking at a Eheim 2078 pro 3e 700...

but i am also drawn to the Fluval g6...has anyone used this filter,review if possible

is this a good idea,can you over filter the water...is this filter overkill(money isnt a issue)....

all i want is the best filter for the money and to keep my oscar healthy...

sorry for the long post all answers and alternatives will be most welcome...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
An FX5 is WAY over kill for a smaller tank like that.

You can't really over-filtrate, but there's no need to spend that much money on it.
(and it's HUGE, like you saw)

·
Registered
179 Posts
fluval 305 or 405 might be an option for you.i have a 305 on a 180 litre jewel tank and it fits inside the cabinet no problems at all and the water is crystal clear.it is rated up to 300 litres and would be more than enough.i would also take out the internal filter will give more space in the tank and with one canister filter you will have enough circulationOr if money is no worries buy 2 external filters . i had 2 1000 litre/ hr externals on my old rio 240 and took out internal filter and it worked like a dream ;-) oscars are messy eaters remeber this ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.