Cichlid Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dragon blood is not him self everything looks ok with him but he’s not acting the same not eating now and hiding a lot not getting bullied either what I can see from it I have lost 3 fish other the last couple of months to the same effect he’s having I thought it was bloat I treated tank with Epsom salt few weeks back all seem well soaked some food for them also which the all eat at the time of this but what else could be going on with them here is some picture of the fish

·
Administrator
41,504 Posts
Epsom salt will help the symptom by moving food through the digestive tract but it will not kill the organism that is causing the problem...if you are seeing thready white feces treat with metronidazole.

If the fish are hiding, they are feeling afraid or bullied. Review your stock list and see if improvements can be made.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No white feces on any of my fish I have removed the dragon blood from the main tank now to see if it improves
The boss of my tank is a fryer I will keep my eye on him to see how he’s acting with the others but everything seem good at the min

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tested for ammonia straight away it’s 0
The fish has gotta worst over the last few days
It’s swimming around some times it’s swimming on its side
What is the treatment to try and save this fish I have lost 3 fish if I lose this one in the last couple of months

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had this fish for over 3 months would it take this long for that infection to so up on this fish

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
If it is actually septicemia, it could be caused by the fish you bought already being infected without obvious symptoms or may be related to water quality issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any specific in there water quality has all my test are perfect notthink out of line

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
Ammonia and nitrite should be zero and nitrate ideally below 20ppm, some aquarists recommend 10ppm. Vacuum your substrate to remove uneaten food and debris and to keep the organic load low. Remove dead/dying live plants if you have them. Do regular sufficient water changes for your stocking level and perform filter maintenance to remove organics from your filter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which I do once a week and 50% water change
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.5 after water change its 0 builds up a little over the week
I feed 2/3 day flakes and pellets
Live river shrimp maybe every month or so
Frozen mysis now and again

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fish is still alive but it’s not eatin for week now getting really thin now
Also it’s lips are all swollen up the reddish in gills seems to be not as bad but the fish is in a really bad way

been treating Esha 2000 and gdex

what would be best thing for this fish to let it die slowly or to dispose of it out the tank So it’s not suffering what wouls uses all do
Seem bad to do this to it hoping it will pull threw but it’s unlikely I think

here few more pics

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
I don't know what the ingredients in eSHa 2000 are and gdex is for treating roundworms so I don't know why you are also dosing that.

The fact that the fish now has increased lip size leads me to believe that it also has columnaris which is a gram negative bacteria infection which is a secondary infection that developed.

I don't know if the fish can be saved without using antibiotics for either disease. Personally I would probably humanely euthanize the fish.

You will also need to disinfect the aquarium, filter, and any equipment or nets used in the quarantine tank with a plain, regular bleach and water mixture to eliminate the possibility of transferring columnaris to your other tank, equipment or nets before reusing it for fish again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tank this fish is in is connected to main tank also all running off the same sump what should I do all other loom healthy at the min hope I don’t lose them all

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have just caught the fish going to dispose it I looked in its month and it seemed to be holding dry and eggs I seen them moving or is this the parasites in its mouth

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This dragon blood is definitely holding how bad would of that been if I dispose of her even tho I thought it was a male it’s definitely holding eggs now has I can see them when I got her out the tank them pictures are not the clearest trying to do it one handed not easily

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
I can't tell what those things are in the fishes mouth but if you are sure they are eggs and your willing to wait it out, go for it.

For the future, a quarantine tank needs to be separate from your main tank water and filtration system to avoid spreading illness or disease to your other fish. Plus it's usually cheaper to treat medications in a smaller tank than having to treat a larger volume of water.

Maybe @DJRansome or @Auballagh have suggestions on what is going on with your fish and how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Good Gawd, man!
Seriously, you need to pull that fish outta the main tank, and place it in quarantine.
NOW.

-
Who knows whats really happening? You said 8 days ago that this fish was acting 'off'. And, you had lost three fish prior to this one getting weird.
And yes, maybe this is just a mouth-brooding female Dragon Blood, holding on to a brood of eggs. But, the other ones in your community tank are bullying this fish. And, there are some other symptoms you report that don't sound (or visibly look) okay to me. That reddened gill area?
This girl needs a quiet break from that community tank, at least. And, if it turns out to be nothing more than just a stressful gestation time for those eggs and babies? Great! You've done nothing but provide more help for that female, to get her out of the bullying situation in your community tank.
But, if she's actually sick? It's DEFINITELY better to have her isolated from everyone else (so they won't possibly get it also - whatever it is).

Reactions: Deeda
1 - 20 of 23 Posts