Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I made a custom background, but I didn't realize that the strainer was going to get blocked, what can I do? I don't want to undo the background can i cut it? A little or tell me please

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I would cut it so the entire strainer front is clear because in the event something blocks a bit of the strainer you might have problems with the tank draining properly.

Are the hole sizes in the glass the same for the drain/strainer and the output/return to the aquarium? If they are, you can just switch them so the strainer drain is toward the front of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I would trim the styrofoam so that the strainer will be fully visible once the background is installed.

You did such a nice job on carving the background that I think you can carve that 'rock' closest to the strainer location and it will still look natural. Of course you will need to paint that section again so that it blends in well and I think you won't even notice it.

You could also try and flip the background upside down and see if it fits because the 'rock' in the bottom right corner of your pic looks shallower than the 'rock' in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, But turning the background upside down or flip it it will loose the design or not look so cool, and the other one, i can trim that side, but it will look like a whole and loose all the design, do you have any pics of someone doing these? does it has to be all clear of just leave the front clear and not the whole piece of rock trim down.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Sorry I don't have any pics that I can find of someone doing that.

The entire front of the strainer needs to be clear of the background because if the strainer is blocked or covered by any part of the background it will affect how the aquarium drains to the sump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts