Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Bit of a problem.. A friend of mines tank burst and well he lost a lot of fish but he managed to save 6 yellow labs and 1 red zebra and 1 albino.

I have an empty 65g which i was in the process of setting up but now because of what happened we've put all the fish in the 65g until he manages to sort his tank out.

Problem is the tank had just been up for 1 day and hence its far from cycled. I removed my sponge filter from my 10g tank and put it in the 65g to help out with the cycling.

The 65g has a HOB and now a sponge filter as well..

Now what do you guys reccomend i do? Water changes every two days for the next 4 weeks? The fish seem very shy and skittish and are hiding in some rocks we threw in from his tank.

Hope all this makes sense,

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'd recommend that you don't feed them at all for the next 3-4 days and then feed them sparingly for the next weeks. The fish won't die from being underfed for a bit, but it'll help your filter get up to speed.

Also the waterchanges you suggested are a good idea.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Is there anything else from you 10g. that you can put in the 65g. that might have the good bacteria on it, gravel, ornaments, fake plants?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Oh what about the filter media from the busted tank? Or is it to late to use it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope unfortunately in all our haste we forgot about that!! But i do have some white gravel in the 10g.. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
How many fish were in the 10G? If the bioload in the 10G was comparable to 6 labs, 1 albino and 1 zebra then you are all set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 10g was a quarantine tank.. There was nothing in it however it was running and i was "feeding" it to ensure the Ammonia etc was 0..

I guess i'll just have to keep a close eye on the 65g with lots of water changes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts