Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had avoided it for a few years now, but yesterday I am pretty sure I found a fish with bloat. A small Saulosi had for the entire day been hanging out near the bottom of the tank and not interacting with the other fish. I kept and eye on him and figured that he had just decided to miss my morning feeding. When I went to check on the fish after getting home that night I noticed that he was SLIGHTLY bloated and had the feared "White stringy feces". I immediatelym QT'd him in a spare 40 Breeder and I added some salt to it. This afternoon I am going to attempt to get some Clout (thats what Marc's article said worked well) and treat him in hopes of saving him.

My real question is this, should I treat my 120. No other fish are exibiting signs, and I have read that the reason you keep a med tank (which I do) is so that you can avoid treating healthy fish. But Marc's article said that one of the advantages of Clout is that is stops the spread. If I have QT'd this individual and begun treatment on him, would taking the precatuion of treating everyone else be a bad idea? I just don't want to kill healthy fish by treating them (Marc mentioned how dangerous Clout can be).

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Patrick

·
Registered
493 Posts
In my opinion, I wouldnt treat the whole tank, but I would do a good water change and vacuum the gravel really well and keep a close eye on things for a while to see if any other fish get infected.

On the other hand, I recently treated my whole tank with clout only because I couldnt catch my affected fish. And I treated it for 2 weeks, with no adverse effects to the healthy ones. (it only stressed them out as a poured the medication in)

I think its better to do water changes and vacuuming gravel than to bomb the whole tank.

You should do a search in the disease section, and you will get a lot more info in this subject.

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
From your description, I'm not 100% convinced it's bloat. I'd treat the hospital with clout and see how he does. Clout does turn the silicone blue so you might want to avoid treating the entire tank unless you are sure they are sick.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would treat the hospital tank with Clout or metronidazole, if the fish is still eating at all, offer him some medicated antiparasitic food.

As a preventative measure for the main tank, you can add epsom salt at 1 cup per 100G, and feed them medicated antiparasitic food.

The problem is, you can have fish that are already infected but not to the stage of showing symptoms, so you want to work as preventatively as possible here.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would honestly treat the whole tank. Bloat is very contagious and fish that carry it might not show signs of it right away. Try the metronidazole, you can mix it with the food to so it works better if the fish are still eating. If the fish isn't eating, treat the water. I have had fish get bloat before, removed the sick fish and put him in QT, but other fish in the tank were already carrying it, so a couple of them got sick and that is when I decided to treat the whole tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts