Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
He's more than likely a hybrid. Usually, if you buy an unidentified fish, they are not pure bred.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
caldwelldaniel26 said:
He's more than likely a hybrid. Usually, if you buy an unidentified fish, they are not pure bred.
So, when I bought him he was labeled, as a peacock, but it was pet smart. Obviously it didn't say what species. I'm kind of hoping there are more like him. He's a cool looking fish and I want to get some more.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Right, he is a hybrid peacock. They may get more like him but it's pretty much hit or miss with petco or petsmart. I personally avoid those stores like the plague because I've had too many sick fish from them. I would suggest looking on Craigslist for good breeders nearby. I know that mail ordered fish can be expensive and that a lot of LFS's have poor quality stock too, so it's a pretty good alternative sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alunacara Masoni? Assorted doesn't always mean hybrids and peacocks are mostly hybrids anyway since some are very similar in color they get grouped together also most fish farms where most pet stores order from are all dedicated species tanks I'm fairly new to cichlids but not to fish and I'm a super nerd when it comes to researching species and "variations" of which people throw the word hybrid in like it's something bad. Also try to color him up fully and then see healthy diet and if the tank is stocked reducing the amount of light by either turning them off longer or partially blocking some. The tank boss's bright colors won't be as easily visible and also reducing the amount of stress the lights cause on the fish.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
NazTron Zero said:
Alunacara Masoni? Assorted doesn't always mean hybrids and peacocks are mostly hybrids anyway since some are very similar in color they get grouped together also most fish farms where most pet stores order from are all dedicated species tanks I'm fairly new to cichlids but not to fish and I'm a super nerd when it comes to researching species and "variations" of which people throw the word hybrid in like it's something bad. Also try to color him up fully and then see healthy diet and if the tank is stocked reducing the amount of light by either turning them off longer or partially blocking some. The tank boss's bright colors won't be as easily visible and also reducing the amount of stress the lights cause on the fish.
It depends on where you buy your fish from really... I can agree that there are a lot of hybrids on the market that get mislabeled though. But masoni don't carry the yellow coloration throughout the body...

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Looks most like Aulonocara koningsi, compare to that, used to be called "Stuartgranti Mbenji". Still think he might have S. fryeri characteristics too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
caldwelldaniel26 said:
Right, he is a hybrid peacock. They may get more like him but it's pretty much hit or miss with petco or petsmart. I personally avoid those stores like the plague because I've had too many sick fish from them. I would suggest looking on Craigslist for good breeders nearby. I know that mail ordered fish can be expensive and that a lot of LFS's have poor quality stock too, so it's a pretty good alternative sometimes.
Usually I don't go to persmart or petco unless, like in this case, they were having a really good sale on filters and supplies. I'm lucky enough to have a really good lfs close by.

I was hoping that he wasn't a hybrid simply because I wanted to get more of him. He's an awesome looking fish! But alas... thanks for all your help everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts