Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These were sold to me as "gold calvus". I'd never heard of gold calvus so I bought them thinking they were probably comps. Can anyone give me an ID on these guys? First 2 pics are of dominate fish third is of one of the underlings. Fish pics in next post

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Interesting - I want to say it is a comp. The only thing making me hestitate is the sparkles on the side. I have had comps with sparkles but not that many.

It looks to have some gold head comp traits. Do you see that much yellow on the face of yellow calvus (thought it was really mostly in the fins). That 1st pic looks like a comp to me.

Should be a beautiful fish as it matures :thumb:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
These are orange fin comp fry that have some sparkles but not as uniform as yours.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Razzo said:
Interesting - I want to say it is a comp. The only thing making me hestitate is the sparkles on the side. I have had comps with sparkles but not that many.
The "sparklers" don't mean its a calvus, There are many species that have the sparkles when they are young. I do agree with you that they are really uniformed, so it could be a hybrid but i'm going with my first guess

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am 99% sure those are A. comps muzi gold head. I just bought some about that size, they look the same. Who knows mine could be from the same breeder as yours. I posted pics of mine in the altolamps pic thread a little while back, compare to those

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say im 80 percent sure its a malasa comp. I've had a few and they have those spots for a while. They will go away and the stripes will blend into a almost solid brownish color. Very nice. My next guess is a hybrid goldhead. Maybe malasa and muzi

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In regards to the hybrid status - the group was purchased as F1s and I didn't see the parents so they could be a hybrid. This is a reputable store here in Houston so I would hope not...

One of the main reasons I was leaning towards comps as well is due to the heavy banding. When stretched out in display the fish also have a pretty substantial vertical (vs bullet like) shape as well.

These are my first alto's so take my observations with a grain of salt as well! :lol:

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
790 Posts
there not A. comps muzi gold head.

It sucks trying to find the specific location for gold heads, but I have seen and had Muzi a few times. They don't look like this

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Furcifer158 said:
I change my mind I'm going with Altolamprologus compressiceps Kasanga Gold Head
I'm going to agree with you. You can even see the blue starting to form on the fishes lips in the first two pics I posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Longstocking said:
.... it also doesn't help that they are all female.
So the two fish I posted are females? If so, how can you tell? I'd like to sex the group if possible...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Longstocking said:
Fin shape and head shape. Horrible at ID'ing... great at sexing ;)
I don't think alto's are even worth trying to sex until they are over 2.5". I have had females that looked just like males, by shape. Venting is the only way to be exact. IMO :thumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts