Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have had this little guy/gal for little over a month and it has grown quite a bit in that short time. I have read up on how to determine sex of a JD, but I cant quite seem to put my finger on it. Do I have a male or female JD?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Blurry picture, but I can see there's some nice color on that fish. And from what I can tell, it looks like you have a very nice looking Rocio octofasciata, Jack Dempsey Cichlid.
You should definitely take another, better photo and post it up.
-
I'd say she's worth the effort. :wink:

·
Registered
940 Posts
With all that blue on the cheeks, it is most likely a female. A male would also have more spangling on the body.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
The bigger, darker one has got some really nice facial spangles going on there - female. The smaller one is pretty young, but it mostly looks like a male to me.
How are those two getting on? What size aquarium have you got them in?

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
In a 32 gallon aquarium? Oh yeah! Those two are definitely gonna get chippy with each other. (I'd have a quarantine tank handy in case one gets beat down pretty badly in there).... Not sure of your bottom dimensions, or 'footprint', but the 32G tank sounds a little small for keeping two Jack Dempseys. Yeah, body on the smaller one is a little longish overall. Plus, that stronger looking head and esp. the lack of spangles on the gill plate and cheeks - male.
But, 'Mr Chromedome' may be along soon to give you a second opinion, and I'll concede that he's got a better eye for identification than I do, esp. in gender determination. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts