Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lab is holding, first one died because it was weak and beat up by males. I have a 72 gallon tank with holy rock, driftwood center piece, and large silk plants. Tank has been great for 5 years, but my fish spawn and rarely have fry survive or they get killed. keeping tank temp at around 78. Water change 2.5 weeks ago which started the spawning.
I made a DIY in tank quarantine and put this one in yesterday because she was not free swimming the majority of the time. She has been holding for about 5 days now. Laying on the bottom of the holding tank, should i strip and cut my losses to save the fish? :-?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Strip her, keep her away from the other fish & feed well for a week before reintroducing her. They typically will not start feeding for 12 hrs after being stripped.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If it was a waterchange 2.5 weeks ago that triggered the spawn, they should almost be done cooking. If they're close (hoppers), a hanging basket in an empty 2.5/5/10 gallon with a bubble stone in the basket should get enough water circulation going that they'll be fine. Biggest thing to look out for is other fish picking them off through the net before they're free swimming.

If you only have 1 additional tank, you could probably put the mother in the same tank to recover. If you do, throw some crushed coral down in the bottom of the net to give the fry somewhere to rest, besides the bare net.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
What are the stocking numbers (&male:female) for the tank? Is it a bowfront?
Just wondering if maybe there aren't sufficient numbers for the females to get some relief from the male(s).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just came back from store to make egg tumbler and too late. Fish dead and no eggs.
Had 2:1 labs, pair of red top zebras, 1 bumble bee male, 1 blue zebra male, not sure of my 3 young cobue.
Yes it is a 72 bowfront.
Now I am ready for next time egg tumbler and quarantine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
aww, sorry to hear of your fish. That's too bad. But like you said, you sill be ready next time, good luck

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
You should be able to remedy most of the tank's problems by reorganzing your stocking.
Generally, you want to stock mbuna in harems, meaning, multiple females for each male. In your size tank, which should be stocked roughly the same as a regular 55g, you would want 3 species and 4-5 fish for each, with 1 male and the rest females. The reasoning being that, the male will harass the females equally so that no single female takes the brunt of his aggression, they all share it.
Because 'Red Top Zebra' and 'Blue zebra' could mean more than one different species of fish, pictures would be the only way to determine what they are.
With that in mind, I would begin to trim your stocking by removing the bumblebee (Ps. crabro (fairly high on the aggression level)). Perhaps your local fish store would take it, possibly for store credit.
From there, a lot depends on the other 2 species, but you could have a combination of 3 species picked from: labs, 'red tops', 'blue zebras' and cobues.
You would want to up the numbers of each to 4-5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts