Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently just purchased a 125 gallon tank and will be setting it up for the first time for a Mbuna setup. I need all of your expertise to help me in a couple areas.

First, how should I get the tank stocked? I mean, should I start with a few fish and slowly introduce other groups 1 species at a time, or should I bring lots in at once.

Second, I am hoping for a really nice tank that is going to show nicely with a variety of colors. I am hoping to get some feedback and advice on weather or not the following groupings of Mbuna could work together. I am not sure how many different fish and/or species I can really keep. Here are the groupings I was looking at. Please tell me if you think they will provide good color variety as well as compatibility on other areas.

Iodotropheus sprengerae – Rusty - 2m 4f
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove) - Electric Yellow - 2m 4f
Pseudotropheus elongatus "Chalosi" - Chalosi – 2m 4f
Pseudotropheus sp. Acei – 2m 4f
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano - 2m 4f

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
For the rusties, mainganos, and chailosi - Shoot for just a single male. With a big tank like a 125, it's possible that 2 males may coexist, so if you want to try for 2m, you'll need to go up to 8 females. And actually for the maingano, I recommend 6-7 females per a single male. The males can be a handful.

The only possible issue I see with the species compatibility is that you *may* see some aggression between the mainganos and the Elongatus chailosi. In my tank, my mainganos (before I got rid of them) would boss around my Metriaclima sp. msobo and Pseudotropheus Elongatus 'Spot' a bit. Nobody was ever injured, but they inhibited breeding of the other two species. The commonality is that they all have black and blue (even though the patterning is different).

Otherwise, the stock looks good :thumb:
If you stick with 1m + 4-6 females per species, you could probably fit another species in there if you want to. A labeotropheus trewavasae or fuelleborni is probably one that would work.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I'd try it. I would not do two males of each though. And yes 1m:7f for elongatus and maingano.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I found out that my tank is 150 instead of 125 which meant I slightly increased my numbers. I also took your feedback, but would like to add more color variety. I do not like the color of Rusty females so am interested in moving that species completely out of the group. Also, I would like to add one more to the mix.

What do you think about these adjustments:

Iodotropheus sprengerae – Rusty - 1m 4f
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove) - Electric Yellow - 2m 6f
Pseudotropheus elongatus "Chalosi" - Chalosi – 2m 8f
Pseudotropheus sp. Acei – 2m 4f
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano - 1m 6f

Plus 1 of the following:

Pseudotropheus Polit - 2m 8f
or
Cynotilapia Hara - 2m 6f
or
Metriclima Msbo - 2m 6f

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Is the footprint still 72" x 18"? You still listed the rusties?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the footprint is still 72 x 18, but its 28 high. I left the rusty's on there because it seemed like it was a good compatible fish for the others. I guess I don't mind them, but I would love some suggestions if there was something else that would be compatible that also gave me some reddish color. I was also hoping for some feedback on any of the other groupings I would like to mix in. thank you for all your help and advice I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
water column height is not the critical parameter with mbuna. they live near the bottom so footprint is the key. 72 x 18 is good but the additional gallons in the vertical direction is not that meaningful.

I'm still a novice but I have maingano and labs (and some others) and I am very happy with them.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
The height does not buy you more fish or extra species. It's all about territory on the substrate with mbuna. That said, some people put six or even seven species into a 72" tank. During two years with mbuna in mine, five species was just right.

I would stick to 1m:4f especially if you want six species.

I'd probably go with msobo from your list. Polit has drab females. Hara's blue bars are not different enough from the elongatus maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so much! That was very helpful. I will definitely be looking at this build for the tank. I think your help has really made it possible for me to find a hopefully compatible mix of beautiful fish. Is there a particular order and time frame that I should use for stocking the tank?

Here is my updated list:

Iodotropheus sprengerae – Rusty - 1m 4f
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove) - Electric Yellow - 2m 6f
Pseudotropheus elongatus "Chalosi" - Chalosi – 1m 7f
Pseudotropheus sp. Acei – 1m 4f
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano - 1m 6f
Metriclima Msbo - 1m 6f

1 - 9 of 9 Posts