·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have...

Peacocks
Turkis, ob peacock pink, rubin red

Haps
Red empress, venustus, mloto, moori dolphin, deep water hap, rostratus, 10 ahli fry (ill keep best male)

What other peacocks can I get...so far I like Benga, usisya, Jacob. Otter point, eureka albino, ngara flametail, maylandia sulfur head, maulana bicolor

Oh yeah...i also have a pretty big frontosa kigoma

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
75g...all Haps are small..ob and Turkis are big...yes I am going for all male show tank

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
smithc1986 said:
So far I have...

Peacocks
Turkis, ob peacock pink, rubin red

Haps
Red empress, venustus, mloto, moori dolphin, deep water hap, rostratus, 10 ahli fry (ill keep best male)

What other peacocks can I get...so far I like Benga, usisya, Jacob. Otter point, eureka albino, ngara flametail, maylandia sulfur head, maulana bicolor

Oh yeah...i also have a pretty big frontosa kigoma
I found my 90 pretty full with 9 adult males and 3 large Syn cats and ended up getting a 6ft 125 and we are all much happier.

I personally found at about 7in I was not happy with the tank size relative to the fish and they definitely looked kinda cramped and when a couple got to about 8in the wife was on me about them rubbing shoulders.

You may find the venustus, rostratus a bit much for the 75 in time with the peacocks and the Red empress may be a bit much as well.

I would think with the Turkis, ob peacock pink, rubin red, mloto, moori dolphin, deep water hap, and the S. fryeri you are getting close to full if they all work.

I'd try trading the big boys for the the usisya, ngara flametail, and maulana bicolor - a Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe) is another great choice.

An adult 6in peacock is going to be about 4-5 times as massive as a 4in fish - so the tank does fill up - a lot!

Some will work and some may not long term due to being to aggressive or too passive - no one is going to be able to tell you exactly what will happen.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you see any problems with the fish I already have? Should the benga and usisya work out together?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
smithc1986 said:
Do you see any problems with the fish I already have? Should the benga and usisya work out together?
The post before yours already pointed out the problems you should have. Not sure about the benga and Usisya, but I personally wouldn't add both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not worried about size because I plan on getting a 125 or bigger when things get cramped

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
smithc1986 said:
I'm not worried about size because I plan on getting a 125 or bigger when things get cramped
You may find the venustus, rostratus, and possibly the Red empress a bit much for the peacocks. They may not kill the peacocks but the peacocks may very well not show their best.

All male is a balance - you don't want anyone too dominant or too passive. The Venustus and Rostratus have a pretty good chance of becoming too dominant in time.

The Red empress seems hit and miss just like the S. fryeri with peacocks from what I have read, though I believe your chances go way up in a 6ft tank.

I went with fish that I knew had a very good chance of working and were the most peaceful I could find and still had to find a new home for a Flametail that became hyper-aggressive.

After doing a couple months of research, I came up with Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" and Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli) as two larger fish that are pretty peaceful and really good looking.

They are the two at 8in right now.

The Liuli will still dominate a wide area of the 6ft tank if I leave a large open sand spot - he decides it is a nest and everyone else ends up in the far ends of the tank. As long as I put rocks across the bottom it is a non-issue.

These are the things that come up with an all male tank - the peacocks may live with the big guys - but if they are all huddled in the end 8in of the tank you will never see them or they won't color up very well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely take GoofBoy's recommendations into consideration. A lot of my stocklist was based off his post history. He knows his stuff!

I have a 125 stocked with about 35 fish right now. 3"-7" range. One word of advice from my experience. Try to get 2-3 larger peaceful haps to "establish the peace" in your tank. Peaceful tanks allow most of its inhabitants to color up.

For example, I have 7" Spilonotus Tanz, Bucco Rhoadesi, m/f Tyrran. Nigriventer, and a 6" Mylochromis Ericotanea ruling the tank. Very beautiful and peaceful fish. Prevents maturing peacocks from learning aggression.

When my tank was understocked with dominant Proto Red Empress & Taiwan Reef, I HATED IT. Eventually had to overstock it with 8 more larger haps. Overstocking helps to curb the aggression.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
nlui220 said:
For example, I have 7" Spilonotus Tanz, Bucco Rhoadesi, m/f Tyrran. Nigriventer, and a 6" Mylochromis Ericotanea ruling the tank. Very beautiful and peaceful fish. !
Highlighted fish Peaceful? I suspect your opinion will change once these mature. Buccochromis in particular can be VERY aggressive, though that might be only when mixed with females.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fogelhound, I had the same reservations before I purchased them too. After some conversations with Erik ****, he mentioned they would be fine in an all-male setup. These specific two fish are very calm, almost to the point of sub-dom. Will keep an eye out on them.

The joys of keeping all-male hap tanks... you never know if things will change!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
nlui220 said:
The joys of keeping all-male hap tanks... you never know when things will change!
Fixed it for you :p.

nlui - 35 fish huh? Seems like a lot, what is the stock list if you don't mind. Are looking at trading fish down the line?

I am thinking of adding about 5-6 more over time to my 125 to give me 15 or so Hap/peacocks plus the 3 cats.

I don't want to do a water change more than once a week - so I really don't want to stock super heavy.

Curious and looking to learn.

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smithc, not to hijack your thread, hopefully this stocklist breakdown can help you out. All of these males have been in the 125g the past few months. I also have other 4ft. tanks used to help smaller males color up faster. Constantly swapping fish in and out of the 125g. I think there's 25-30 in the main tank currently.

I've broken down the stocklist into 2 categories. (1) Peaceful Pansies (2) Potentially Psychotic

Harmless:

Aul. Yellow Jake - has a bad rep but most Yellow Jakes I've seen don't start trouble, they just hold their own
Aul. Kandeense
Aul. Stuartgranti Bi-color 500
Aul. Stuartgranti Benga
Aul. Turkis - personal fav
Aul. Stuargranti Flametail - personal fav
Copadichromis Mloto - 4 males
Copadichromis Verduyni WC - love these guys, 2 males
Lethrinops Albus Kande WC - trying to pick up females for breeding
Mylochromis Ericotaniea - harmless
Nyassachromis Boadzulu Kanchedeza - harmless
Otopharynx Lithobate Z-Rock - personal fav, 4 males
Otopharynx Tetrasplus
Protomelas Spilonotus Tanz - personal fav
Protomelas Virgatus WC - personal fav
Tramitochromis Intermedius
Yellow Lab

The ones I keep a close-eye on:

Aul. Ruby Red Jake
Aul. Sp. Lwanda - 7 males
Buccochromis Rhoadesii WC
Buccochromis Nototaniea WC
Champsochromis Caeruleus
Naevochromis Crysogaster
Protomelas Red Empress
Protomelas Steveni Imperial Gome WC
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Copadichromis Kadango
Frontosa - 2 unsexed
Pundamilia Nyrerei - kicks butt for a small guy, gorgeous flared up
Tyrannochromis Nigriventor Mbenji WC
Tyrranochromis Nigriventor Mbenji female WC
Chilotilapia Rhoadessi - has some bite for a small guy, 2 males
Mixed peacock
Mixed Ahli
Sciaenochromis fryeri - annoying when growing up, ok when older

@GoofBoy, the only reason I have so many right now is because I'm transitioning over to a large hap tank. I started out with small haps/peacocks. Most of the peacocks will be gone or rehoused in other tanks. Ideally, I'd like 8-10 full size haps ranging 8"-12". It'll take some time. And yes, let me know if you're looking for a particular fish to trade!

You never know WHEN things will change! For sure! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
smithc1986 said:
I recently purchased three adult males peacocks: a benga, a usisya, and a red peacock. I bought them with the intent of adding them to my 135 hap/peacock tank.

I put them in a 55 quarantine tank together. About a week into the quarantine, the usisya suddenly looked ragged and was dead within hours. I never saw either of the other two bully or harass the usisya. On the other hand, if the ragginess was caused by disease, neither of the remaining two appear to have contracted it in the 2+ weeks since.

Don't know if I'll try again. I may just add some yellow labs instead. I've kept Labidochromis species in hap/peacock tanks for years with no problems (both yellow labs and hongis), though I note that another individual posting to this thread did have an aggression problem with yellow labs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
nlui220 said:
Smithc, not to hijack your thread, hopefully this stocklist breakdown can help you out. All of these males have been in the 125g the past few months. I also have other 4ft. tanks used to help smaller males color up faster. Constantly swapping fish in and out of the 125g. I think there's 25-30 in the main tank currently.

@GoofBoy, the only reason I have so many right now is because I'm transitioning over to a large hap tank. I started out with small haps/peacocks. Most of the peacocks will be gone or rehoused in other tanks. Ideally, I'd like 8-10 full size haps ranging 8"-12". It'll take some time. And yes, let me know if you're looking for a particular fish to trade!
Makes more sense now with the clarifications/extra tanks. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up getting...
Ngara flametail.
Bicolor 500
Maylandia sulferhead
Benga
Pundamilla nyerei. I know its Victorian but my gf wouldn't leave without it.
Lithobates yellow blaze
And a rhino pleco to control some algae

The flametail and sulfer head are only 2" or so and already look great....I will post pics soon

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
I asked about Pundmilia nyererei in an all-male hap/peacock tank and was advised they are too aggressive. Apparently they should be stocked like the most aggressive of mbuna.

I stocked another Vic in my male tank and I'm looking for some nyererei for my mbuna tank.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The breeder told me they will be fine together...so far he's really docile..I did have to go trade in my ob peacock as it didn't like any of the new fish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts