Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, several questions so I'll be as organized (haha) as I can.

Looking to re-stock a 55g that I lost most of my fish due to a heater sticking (1st time in 30yrs).

I have to consider a few stocking options as availability is quite limited for me (Vancouver Island, BC).

I am debating between having 15 Ps. demasoni + 6 yellow labs versus 12-15 Ps. saulosi. I prefer to have the higher ratio of the demasoni colour pattern to yellow (versus the saulosi being higher in yellow ratio) but I like the idea that the Ps. saulosi should be alot less trouble than the demasoni *may* become as the colony matures. Comments on this?

Do I want to shoot for the typical 1M:3F for the demasoni? So I want to target 4M:11-12F to end up with 15'ish total?

I really like the powder blue of M. callainos or Ps. socolofi, plus the fact that the females carry some colour as well. What are your thoughts of adding either of these with the demo/yellow labs or the saulosi? Will they be too aggressive for the saulosi? Ps. demasoni, yellow labs, and either callainos/socolofi...too many fish for a 55g?

Current filtration is 1 large dual HOB biowheel and 1 Magnum 350 canister.

Anyone in Vancouver Island or Vancouver area breeding any of the above mentioned fish?

Thanks for bearing with me and for any advice :thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Go with what you want :thumb: I like both the Dems/Labs combo and a Saulosi species only tank.

The other option that you mentioned was the Cobalt and Socolofi? How'bout the Cobalt/Socolofi (albino) and Saulosi? I would suggest the Albino over the reg. socolofi because it would be too much blue the other way. I think that would be a good looking tank for a 55gal!

I've had cobat/socolofi/saulosi in a tank together with only minor problems. I'd think if you had enough females for each species you would probably be okay....my suggestion would be (assuming you like the 3 mentioned above species)
5 Cobalts 1M/4F
5 Albino Socolofi 1M/4F
10-12 Saulosi 2-3M 7/10 F

You would have only three species but lots of colour!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will partly come down to what I can actually find. I love the demasoni colouration, would be happy with the male saulosi as a compromise. 3 or 4 male saulosis aren't the same impact compared to 15 demasoni but I imagine those males would be quite active with 8-10 females around.

Hadn't thought of having a male of each callainos and socolofi, like it though. Chances are though I would only find 1 and get a juvie group of 6-8 to end up with the right M:F ratio. Either way I would be fine with it. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Demasoni-lab-socolofi or Demasoni-lab-callainos would work fine. I let the demasoni sort out the male-female ratio for themselves but you can figure on ending up with three males in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts