Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 75g with 5 yellow labs, 5 rusties, and 2 synodontis. I am thinking of adding 4 to 5 more fish before calling this tank complete. Should I add 2 more of each mbuna species I already have in there or should I go 5 more of one more species?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I agree, as long as you think you have 4 females of the ones you have.

You can add 2 species if you want, and depending on the Syno's you have, I would increase their number to 5 (if they are lucipinnis, petricola, multipunctatus, etc.).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions.

I would love to add more synos, on top of another 4 to 5 mbuna, but I am running two Hydor 350s and am afraid this is not sufficient filtration for that many fish.

Any specific species of barred fish that would do well with my current mix?

·
Registered
47 Posts
morrismorris said:
...I would love to add more synos, on top of another 4 to 5 mbuna, but I am running two Hydor 350s and am afraid this is not sufficient filtration for that many fish. ...
What's in them for Bio?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like Seachem Matrix or Pond Matrix. Some say it's just over priced pumice stone but I've always had solid performance with it. In any event it houses more surface area for the bacteria which in turn allows for more nitrification (breakdown of ammonia and nitrite ). Seachem boasts de-nitrification as well, especially with Pond Matrix, but that's seen mixed reviews. Anyway SLOWLY swapping out at least some of the rings for something with more surface area would permit an increased bio load. Of course this means accelerated nitrate production so you'd need to monitor that and be ready to step up your water change game.

https://www.seachem.com/matrix.php

FWIW I'm in the planning stages of a 108 gal Mbuna tank with a 31 gal sump. I'm putting 4l of Pond Matrix in the sump.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I don't think the media makes a filter support more or less fish. What is the hourly gallons/hour turnover?

I like some of the expensive media (not matrix especially) but plastic pot scrubbers from the kitchen do a fine job as well. Whatever your filter came with should be fine.

Smaller numbers of fish overall can lead to aggression management problems down the road.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Hydor 350 is rated at 280gph. What sparked this thread is current aggression issues in the tank, mostly between a couple rusties.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
So you are 7.5X which is close to the recommended 8X. I'd add the fish. I'd also remove extra male rusties and add females, or if you want to keep all the current rusties, stock them at 1m:4f (which means add a LOT of rusty females).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so when it comes to water turnover, I do count the fact that I have two filters? I feel like I read somewhere that this doesn't matter so much and to still treat it as if I had just the one filter.

I don't remember the justification and maybe I even misunderstood. In that case, I suppose that changes things a little and I can also do the synos.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
You add the turnover of all your devices. One of those would not be enough turnover, but both are not bad. I would do 20 cichlids and 5 Synodontis.

Do not add Syno's if you have a solitary species like eupterus.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up getting 5 maingano. Gives the tank beautiful contrast. I will see how this works out, add some more rocks, and probably get a few more synos in the future.

It is still difficult at the moment to sex my fish, so I am afraid I will need to wait a little longer for that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.