Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have 3 cichlids. Red Zebra, Ice Blue Zebra and a Giraffe Hap.
I was wondering if anyone could verify the sex.. I was told they were all female

[/url]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id say its about 2½ the red zebra is about 2½ and the blue zebra is 4-5 .. I just got the giraffe and red zebra on the 13th not sure how old. And the blue zebra was given to me because its aquarium was too small

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How quick will they grow? My red zebra and the giraffe love rosy reds. And hotdogs... the blue one may be holding.. all it dose is move gravel

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Your feeding your fish hotdogs? You're asking for a case of bloat. And I would be careful with feeder fish. They can carry disease and contaminate/kill your fish.

With your fish, you should be feeding a quaility spirulina flake and supplementing with a quality pellet. I use Dainichi Color FX pellet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They only got a little bit of dog. I just tried it because they wernt eating the pelets or flakes. So I tried the roseys and a little dog.. the pelets I have are in a clear jar with blue lid. Fish guy said they were best but the only one to eat them is the red zebra.... what else should I try?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My mbuna like frozen peas. I blanch them for about 15 seconds and remove the shell, cut them up into tiny pieces and serve. Also, read this article. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... chlids.php If they aren't taking to the pellets, try not feeding them for a couple of days. (They will be fine) Then throw the pellets or flakes, they will be hungry enough to eat them. Also remember your fish should always look hungry and be running up to you when it's feeding time. If thats not happening you might be feeding too much.

And stay away from the hotdog. Last I checked there are no hotdogs in lake malawi. :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
And what size tank is that? The Venustus gets very big in a hurry so you may have to find a new home for him as he grows. And most africans do best in ratios of 1m to 4 or more females unless you're shooting for an all male Hap/Peacock tank so judging by your 2 mbuna I'm guessing your not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The three are in a standard 55g. I'm planning on buying a 200ish around july when I get a bigger place. That's why I want to get them sexed. I want to find a bright red peacock. So 4 fish only till I get the new tank

One more question.. why is it that my giraffe spots fade and get darker throughout the day?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed today that it has a little bit of what looks like a blue/green on the lower. Part of its face

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That makes him a boy! He'll be a very pretty fishy one day. He eats meat, but it's unsafe to feed fish that you didn't raise yourself because of disease. The other two can get really sick if they get much meat, but they will happily gobble it up anyway! Also, fat from warm blooded animals is another thing to avoid.

The Venustus is a a "hap", who mostly hunt for small cichlids in the wild. The other two are "mbuna", who pick algae off of rocks and on a lucky day, maybe a few invertebrates. That's why they'll take meat, but they aren't built to digest more than a small amount at a given time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided to let the be for a few days and then see if they eat more. Will try the peas. Would it be ok to add a 3 inch black and blue zrock or any segustions on a bright red cichlid that would work.

Oh and will the Hap and Zebra mate.. if its male and female tank

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Anything will mate with anything, but they will usually much prefer their own species, if given the choice.

The z rock may be OK as they are a hap. Anything I can think of that's bright red is a peacock, and the mbuna will supposedly harass them to death. How about some bright red gravel, instead?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol there is pink and black gravel(not my choice) in the tank. My Gf wants a red cichlid since the giraffe I let her pick. Just didn't know what red cichlids there are that would work .. larger peacock the the zebras?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I keep peacocks with my mbuna and haps. Hasn't been a problem with any peacock. I would try a cherry red zebra though, they have great red color and stay an orange when they mature. Same as red zebra just more red color .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chunkanese said:
I keep peacocks with my mbuna and haps. Hasn't been a problem with any peacock. I would try a cherry red zebra though, they have great red color and stay an orange when they mature. Same as red zebra just more red color .
Thanks.. now I just need to find one...lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts