Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I am new to here but I currently have a gold red spotted severum which I love and recently acquired 2 blue acaras (not sure what the difference is between blue and electric blue)
So the lady in the fish shop told me ahe thought they were a pair , male and female but definitely a male. Could anybody help identify the genders please
Many thanks
Water Vertebrate Plant Organism Underwater
Water Plant Wood Underwater Aquatic plant

· Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Yes, you have two Electric Blue Acaras (EBA). And compared to the 'regular' Andinoacara pulcher, Blue Acara, it is very tough to positively identify gender in the EBA. Adult males will grow a bit larger in size than the females, are more slender in body shape and will have a longer, more pointed dorsal fin. So, the larger one in that pair might be your male.
Here is comparison image of a 'regular type' adult Andinoacara pulcher, Blue Acara vs. an Electric Blue Acara,
Organism Fish Fin Electric blue Marine biology

-
NOTE: Keep an eye on your Gold Red Spotted Severum. Those are known to sometimes become quite aggressive in community tanks. If your Severum decides it doesn't want to share that aquarium with those EBA, you may have to pull them both out before things get bad. Your more peaceful and easy-going EBA's will come nowhere near the level of goonery and nastiness that a Gold Red Spotted Severum can bring.

Reactions: Rochymac

· Registered
875 Posts
The best way to sex these fishes is by watching their behaviours, and the two pics you posted suggest that these two are quite happy hanging out together. It's not foolproof at this stage, but I'd bet you have a M:F pair.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you have two Electric Blue Acaras (EBA). And compared to the 'regular' Andinoacara pulcher, Blue Acara, it is very tough to positively identify gender in the EBA. Adult males will grow a bit larger in size than the females, are more slender in body shape and will have a longer, more pointed dorsal fin. So, the larger one in that pair might be your male.
Here is comparison image of a 'regular type' adult Andinoacara pulcher, Blue Acara vs. an Electric Blue Acara,
View attachment 143997
-
NOTE: Keep an eye on your Gold Red Spotted Severum. Those are known to sometimes become quite aggressive in community tanks. If your Severum decides it doesn't want to share that aquarium with those EBA, you may have to pull them both out before things get bad. Your more peaceful and easy-going EBA's will come nowhere near the level of goonery and nastiness that a Gold Red Spotted Severum can bring.
Thank you very much 😊 my severum Harry is a big softie and gets spooked by the acaras from time to time. If they do mate, would my severum eat their eggs?

· Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
That's hard to say. The eggs will probably be okay, as the parents will both be able to defend a static spawning site. When those hatch out however, is when the problems really begin to mount for the parents. Determined predators at this point in the wild will begin taking a toll of the little fry in that school, despite the parents best efforts to protect them.
And yes, your Red Gold Spotted Severum is far and away the more powerful Cichlid than even both of those EBA. And also yes, if it decides it REALLY wants to eat those eggs or go after the fry? There isn't much your pair of EBA will be able to do about it.
However.....
Sometimes the sheer ferocity of a fry-protective pair of substrate spawning Cichlids can surprise you. Anyone who has ever witnessed a spawning pair of little, Central American, Neetroplus nematopus, Neet Cichlids bring down a reign of terror and pain on the much larger occupants of an 8 FOOT LONG TANK, knows just how quickly those aggression tables can turn. So if you want to keep those baby EBA, I would have a separate quarantine/isolation tank with biologically established filtration standing by . Who knows? When/If your EBA spawn, you might just have to pull your big ol' Severum out of the community tank for his safety! :oops:

· Registered
35 Posts
I have two in my 75g now for 2mos. One is slightly larger with the orange strip at the dorsal fin and it comes to a tip all the way to the tail fin. It chases the smaller one away and around the whole time I’ve had them. There’s no carnage happening with fins and scale’s intact just chasing. The smaller one has a more rounded dorsal fin with less color to the orange but orange nonetheless. After my WC the other day, the larger one wasn’t chasing the other but rather hovered close by and flexed it’s fins and the coloration was very bright. I can’t tell you for sure who is what but, if I were to venture a guess I would say I’ve got a set (it doesn’t matter to me as I don’t plan to breed them I just want them to get along). I’ve been giving the smaller one extra food to keep it well nourished. The largest likes to grab chunks of sinking pelleted food that I give my CLs and just recently the smaller one has gotten the clue to join the club. They are going through a growth spurt at this time. I just hope the little one doesn’t get killed by the other and letting them work it out. As with all my occupants, I watch them closely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts