Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm extending my house so planning to add a new tank to my 50 and 10 gal planted tanks. I wanted to have African Cichlids (Mbunas in particular, I like to have groups). Decided to get a 48*18*18 tank. For filtration sunsun 304 and 302.
My Ph is high in low range and low in high range API test kit (7.4 ?), haven't checked on hardness but i get white deposits in taps and bathroom floors ( assuming it's a bit hard ), I can use seachem buffers but rather not. My temperature stays at 31C during hot days and get down to 26C during winters, currently its around 30-31C.
Now I would like to have 4 species

8 - Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow lab)
12 - Pseudotropheus Demasoni
4 - Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusties)
4 - Pseudotropheus socolofi "Albino" (Snow White)
The last two species might be subject to availability. If it's not available i can replace them with any species you guys suggest.

I will be able to do water changes weekly once , about 25-30%.

My questions are :

1. Will my parameters and temperature work ?
2. How is my stocking list and will it be okay for my setup ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
I'm not going to comment on your African Mbuna stocking ideas, (the Malawi section of the forum is for that). But, generally?
As follows,
- Your house runs hot. Those temps are going to make things pretty hot in that aquarium - best to keep it in a shady location at least, out of direct sunlight.
- I wouldn't mess with the water. Your local water parameters will probably be fine for keeping African Mbuna in, just acclimatize and adjust them slowly to things, when you first get them.
- Why the 20 - 30 percent limit on water changes? If any one things sticks out to me as a problem you are going to be dealing with, is keeping the water clean and healthy for your fish. You need to check your water supply for measured Nitrates. If you have any measurable amount in your water supply - it will make things much more difficult for you in keeping your fish healthy. Your Cichlids will appreciate Nitrates kept to a maximum level below 20 PPM in their aquarium water. That means with a 50 percent water change, you will dilute the Nitrates down to 10 percent, if you start in the aquarium with the maximum of 20 percent. That's tougher to accomplish than it may sound - and your stocking list/ideas for that size aquarium mean it will be stocked with a lot of fish. Nitrate producers! (Bio-load).
-
Otherwise, I would post up again in the Malawi section of the forum with your aquarium stocking ideas to get some species compatibility recommendations, and probably even a bit more general, fish-keeping advice. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I live in a hot region , I can add fans to maintain a 28-29C temperature. I am from a planted tank where 20-30 percentage is common, I thought that might work if nitrates are under 40ppm. I tested my tap and its has no nitrates. Thanks ill probably move this thread to that section.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts