Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. i am new to cichlids and to this site. I purchased a 36 gallon bowfront in the fall with the idea of stocking with typical tropical fish, (tetras, barbs etc). after walking through pet stores and checking out the differant fish i have decided that i really like the african cichlids. i have done a ton of research and realize my tank is not ideal for these fish. can you guys recomend fish for me? i do not have the option of upgrading to bigger tanks, at least not within a couple years. the fish i like are electric yellow, acei cichlid, and zebra african cichlid. are these ok? any others i could put with them considering full adult size? i have heard some about dwarf cichlids but dont think my local petsmarts or petcos stock them? again i am brand new to cichlids and was not fully planning on having these fish so please understand that when giving me advice. i have river rock, tufa rock, slate and a couple plants providing multiple caves cravices and hiding spots. i have an aqeuon 30 hob filter but upgraded to a aquaclear 70, i have a couple airstone for increased water movement/ surface agitation. would a powerhead help also? thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi dwlO222

Take a look at the cookie cutter page in the library. Other than that I don't recomend mbunas for your tank. the page i suggested will give you a few ideas on the fish you can get. Hope u find some cichlids u like :thumb:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well thanks for the info, i checked out the link and after goin over it i might just wind up heading back towards the schooling tropical fish. i wish i woulda known about cichlids before buying a tank or i probably woulda gotten a 46 gallon or maybe slightly bigger. guess ill just have to wait and go big in a few years! thanks again

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the problem is i dont think i can get shellies or tangs anywhere around me. and i cant afford to pay 40 or more bucks to have fish shipped to me. thats the main reason i wanna get fish that are available at a local store. i will look into them though...maybe ill find a place that stocks them locally

1 - 6 of 6 Posts