Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm looking at using my 72"x24"x18" tank for a community Tangayika. Even though I know my plec's , tropheus and Malawi I'm not up to speed on the tangs :) . Some of the species I like are cyprichromis
Neolamprologus brevis brevis
Callochromis stappersi
Eretmodus
Ophalmotilapia ventralis
Spathodus erythrodon
Tanganicodus irsacae
xenotilapia papilio
Xenotilapia flavipinnis

Sorry for being lazy but would any of this list go together ?

Regards

Shaky

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
To start with, you need to limit yourself to one species from each type of fish. So yes, several of those will go together, but not two of the gobies, two of the shellies or two of the xenos.

In a 6 foot tank, you can keep any of those species, but as you've guessed the combo is important.

The featherfins will compete with the xenos far too much. So- pick one or the other. Cyps are a great choice, and will go with anything. Brevis and gobies are good, then I'm not as familiar with the callos, but I know folks that are keeping them with cyps. Hopefully someone will chime in on whether callos and either feather fins/xenos can be kept.

A typical stocking level would be something like

15 Cyps
6 Brevis
6 Eretmodus
8 xenos
+ One more group, perfereably a rock dweller... but callos might work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea :thumb:

I am getting 18 cyps Sunday so that's the start :) I also may have found a breeding pair of brevis so it's all looking good :D What rock dweller suggestions do you have?

Anyone else want to give me a list of what would go great in my tank?

·
Registered
705 Posts
i second a julie species. take ur pick out of what u have available. may even be able to get some of the larger species. GL on your hunt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yea a bigger species juli could work too. Just get them small so by time they are big enough to eat fry there will be plenty there to have.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The larger julies could be awfully hard on the brevis. Since you are aiming for a community tank, try to find transcriptus or ornatus instead of marlieri or regani.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Got 12 adult cyps and 5 fry now :) might be getting a pair of brevis end of the week also :)

Does anyone keep tangs here in the UK?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hmm

I would've kept the Ventralis in the tank

I've got a 7'x18"x20" tank

My stocking plan was:

Ventralis Zongwe
Lepto Kigoma
Xeno Sunflowers
Goby of some kind
Ochrogenys Ndole
Julies

I find that ventralis don't fight for sand, they stick to one corner and defend that area
They defend a rocky area rather than sand

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
shon982 said:
Hmm

My stocking plan was:

Ventralis Zongwe
Lepto Kigoma
Xeno Sunflowers
Goby of some kind
Ochrogenys Ndole
Julies

I find that ventralis don't fight for sand, they stick to one corner and defend that area
2 groups of xenos plus a feather fin? I think this is a recipe for disaster. :popcorn:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi triscit

I wasn't looking at all the list just some and was asking people out of the list what could work? Also if anyone has other suggestions?

Cheers :thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
triscuit said:
shon982 said:
Hmm

My stocking plan was:

Ventralis Zongwe
Lepto Kigoma
Xeno Sunflowers
Goby of some kind
Ochrogenys Ndole
Julies

2 groups of xenos plus a feather fin? I think this is a recipe for disaster. :popcorn:
It'll work for me :) (I cut the julies from the list)

Sunflowers are more rock dwellers and the Ochrogenys are very calm
The Kigomas obviously aren't a problem and the Ventralis... I honestly can't see them being a problem at all :S
I have the Zongwe with Leptos and Ochrogenys in another tank at the moment

All the fish stick to their own kind, I've never had Ventralis attack another fish
Probably just as calm as the Leptos in my experience

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
shon982 said:
I've never had Ventralis attack another fish. Probably just as calm as the Leptos in my experience
First I ever heard that. :thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have pictures for proof :)

I've kept Ventralis with Frontosa, Calvus, Leleupi, Tropheus, Nigripinnis, Kilesa, Spilopterus all before

Currently with Ochrogenys and Leptos

They only go crazy with their own species

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Stranger things have worked, Shon982- but it sounds like you haven't actually tried it yet?

When we're giving our opinions and advice to folks new to some of these species, it's best to stick with what we know rather than what we hope will work. It'd be great if you started your own thread with some of those pictures you mentioned. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Julidochromis or calvus for the rock dweller. No featherfins.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.